RNR Officer Application Process

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Chris_1805, Apr 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm currently applying for the RNR but I'm a little confused about the next stages in the process. So far, since going to an open day at my local unit, the application process has taken about 11 months. I've passed the recruit test and was told when I went to interview, right after the RT, that as I had the prerequisite UCAS points and a masters degree I should go for direct entry Officer, not Rating, which is what I'm now doing and that therefore, an interview was not necessary at that point. Since then I've passed the eye test and medical and I now have my attestation in a couple of weeks. The attestation paper work says I'll start getting paid from then on for training I do. I raised with the AFCO that I've not yet taken the PJFT but was told this is fine as I'm taking it a few days after I attest. I've tried asking my AFCO what's next in the process but they don't really seem to know as they're new to the post.

So my questions are:

What is left in my process before I start my officer training in the unit? So far there has been no mention of any interview apart from a general acknowledgement that at some point I'll need pass the AIB, will I attend this soon or not?

Is it normal to attest before passing the PJFT, or is this a slimmed down recruiting process to get people in the door so the MOD hits it's targets?

I've seen on this forum talk of a SIFT(?) interview. What is this and does it apply to me, as I can see nothing about it on the RNR website?

Thanks for your help!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. They have very recently brought in a new system called 'early attestation' to bring people through the door a bit quicker and stop people losing interest due to the ridiculously long recruitment process. It's not really about hitting MOD targets, it's just because people where ****ing off. A year plus is clearly an unacceptable time to wait to join the reserves.

Congratulations on being one of the guinea pigs.

What this means is that despite having not passed all the stages of the recruitment process (which still remain the same as before) you will actually join the RNR on a limited basis and be able to take part in training, get paid and have your travel expenses reimbursed.

This is a good thing.

Before you can progress with any of the more juicy stuff, you will still have to complete the rest of the recruitment process, PJFT (as you are already aware), the SIFT interview (just a competency based interview with a recruiting officer) and AIB.

Obviously if you fail these steps, you will be given the opportunity to try again or join as a rating. If you still fail after X amount of attempts, you'll be shown the door.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just out of interest, what does happen at attestation? I joined over a decade ago and back then if any part of the recruitment process had a special name, I never heard it (in retrospect, I am astonished that the RNR managed to recruit anyone in the previous millenium). I recall there was no oath-taking or anything like that. Is that still the case? I remember signing some forms, but I literally turned up on a drill night (which was my first contact with the RNR), signed some forms, and I was in - came back the next Tuesday for a drill night, although it was a long old slog to uniform and pay.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. Quick oath - repeating line for line what the officer says. Very informal given the fact that at this point you'll have probably known your recruiting officer for about a year.

Fill out paperwork.

That's it.
  5. Times sure do change. I just turned up and signed bits of paper on my first night, no oath. Now, there is an oath but it takes a year before you're attesting :)
  6. I did get TMU in the middle of December which slowed things down by a month because of Christmas. However, I don't think I needed to go back, as the Doc only asked me if anything had changed since the last medical and when I said no, he passed me. I was in the office for under a minute. I thought that could have been done over the phone and would have saved me a morning off work.

7. A year plus is fairly standard, hence the need for early attestation. It's not the correct solution, but at least it's a step in the right direction while they sort out the bigger picture.

I was a week shy of a year from initial contact to attestation. Didn't fail anything, just took ****ing ages.
  8. You need to do your AIB before you can join as an OC. Best thing to do is contact your local unit and find out who the Recruiting Officer is. They'll know the process.
  9. I attest next week so will ask them in person then. Thanks!

10. And is exactly what I did five years ago when joining the RNR. And round and round and round we go...........
  11. Unfortunately it does seem that the biggest delay is caused by the medical stage. When I was at my attestation I've heard ridiculous stories such as a person having had 3 medicals and still TMU'ed, another got TMU'ed for a broken thumb when he was 7 years old worst one was someone who applied over two years ago who had his medical documents lost by Capita.
  12. Hi all, attested and am in a holding unit so getting to do training and be paid (well, one day I will).

I have my SIFT in just over a week and am wondering if the questions asked are any different, as it's for an RNR officer, compared to all the post I've seen on this forum which relate to full time?

Furthermore, does anyone know when you choose a branch (as an RNR officer) as everyone I've asked in Unit and AFCO have no idea?

Thanks in advance!
  13. Ref choosing branch :
    you have plenty of time, after you have completed Fleetboard you will apply to join a branch (well 3, in order of preference) and if numbers are ok etc, you will get your choice. Info Ops has a bright future!
  14. Thanks SR, that's helpful and answers the question, which they're bound to ask.

15. One thing I would point out is that these delays are not attributable to the RNR. Applicants for the RNR complete the same joining process as the RN, the only real difference being that we are attested after the interview these days which as others mention is to enable you to get paid and expenses for attending the medical, fitness test etc.

My experience tells me that
    1. The tests should all be sat in unit on an evening (something we have started to do) to avoid people having to take half a day or more off work.

2. The interviews should be undertaken in unit on an evening (something we have started to do) to avoid people having to take half a day or more off work.

3. The medicals should be undertaken in unit on an evening to avoid people having to take half a day or more off work and they should be undertaken by an RNR doctor. There are plenty of them and most of the one's I see would welcome the opportunity to do something useful in unit.

4. The fitness test should be undertaken in unit on an evening to avoid people having to take half a day or more off work and unit ETL's should be able to do them.

Unfortunately item 3 won't happen as we are tied in to a contract which allows doctors to be paid for the number of medicals they take so surprise, surprise most people are TMU and have to return for a second medical - minimum wait between the two medicals is 40 days I believe because of the time it takes the payment to be made to the applicants GP for their medical records.

All of the above will help to speed up the process massively. Whole Ships Co-ordinators are now being employed at RNR units because it's finally been realised that we were expecting part timers to do the role of a full time CA which was unrealistic.

And another thing - having experienced the grief that CA's have to put up with I can honestly say that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. So many appointments are wasted by people not attending which slows the process down for everyone. Do you charge people for the medical and refund the money when they've sat it (pass or fail?). This would reduce the number of wasted appointments and cover the cost of those that are wasted. Would it work? Probably not. It would discourage a lot of people from applying in my opinion.
  16. If it helps we do nimber 1 in unit already.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app