RNR - not the same roles but complimentary?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Firth, Mar 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks

I'm interested in the RNR and am going along to attend a presentation at my local unit. I've read up quite a bit but want to get some feedback on what the following phrase actually means:

In the RN FAQ online it states:
    (Unlike the T.A) - "Members of the RNR serve in support of their fulltime colleagues (understood) and undertake different, but equally important tasks (what does this actually mean?)". This message is again repeated on a video on the same site by a junior officer.

However the RNR career guide states:
    "As a Reservist, you’ll have to meet the same fitness and academic requirements, wear the same uniform, do much of the same training (is this really accurate then?) and, when needed, be deployed in the same places and situations as the regulars."

This seems to be contradictory to the FAQ? Whilst I understand there are limits on what roles the RNR can perform, the career guide seems to indicate that for every possible RNR role there is a direct opposite number over in the RN. For instance is an RNR Seaman the same as an RN Seaman etc? Do they really do exactly the same job if deployed. The FAQ seems to indicate otherwise.

Also does anyone have any comments on how the RNR are actually perceived (in real life) by their full time RN equivalents? I know the official message is that they are actually welcomed as valuable contributors, but does anyone have any negative experiences of being deployed with regulars? What do regulars really think of the RNR? Are they ever seen as a potential liability/extra load to carry?

Just trying to make sure I get some balanced feedback from some experience hands.

2. The big difference, is you can say NO I'm not going on that deployment in the RNR . The RN doesn't afford you that Luxury.:laughing5: Don't forget that the STC branch is the same for RN and RNR.:salut:

3. Welcome Firth,

Contrary to what Scouse says you can't pick and choose your deployments. The RNR Operates a policy of Intelligent Mobilisation wherever possible which means requirements are filled by volunteers. Compulsary mobilisation is a last resort and you can't simply decide you don't want to go. There is the opportunity to appeal against your mobilisation for both you and your employer if there are extreme circumstances. This does not include partner pregnant, holidays booked etc but if you have started a new job recently then the MOD doesn't want to make things too difficult between you and your employer as they need your employer to support you in your role.

There are very few directly transferable trades between the RN and RNR. Most of our roles are slightly different although we do still undertake them alongside the regulars if that makes sense.
    e.g warfare in the RN includes using the hi-tec weapons sytems as well as the small calibre weapons whereby the RNR warfare branch sticks to small calibre weapons as the courses are shorter. You will however deploy as a mixed team of RN/RNR ratings as part of the force protection teams.

Most of the career courses you do will be alongside regulars such as weapons courses, fire fighting/damage control courses, first aid courses, safe deck hands, small boats etc. Some are adapted for reservists because it's unrealistic to expect a reservists to undertake some of the very long courses. These may include weekends (which regulars rarely do) or courses split into sections (e.g. a four week course split into two weeks one year, two weeks the following year).

How you are perseved by the regulars is largely dependent on you. There is no uniform distinction. If you do your job well then there shouldnt be a problem. There are some regulars who harbour grudges against reservists but they tend to be few and far between.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hi guys. Thanks very much for your feedback. It's helped to add a bit more clarity.

5. I think people have a better perception of the RNR today. Point is there is a limit on how much the RNR can be trained, they can't fix helicopters or do a lot of the very technical aspects demanded of the regulars, they can't be pilots or serve on subs etc. Many of the guys in President got deployed on Calesh/Kippon as part of the RMFPG because that's something very useful they could do with only a few months training, making up the numbers of the regular RN protection teams.
    I'd highly recommend it, give you a taster of the navy and if you like it you can find it a lot easier to go regular after your RNR training

6. Not quite true on the submarine side Jaggers, we had an RNR chef (admittedly non-tech branch) on Trafalgar, he was onboard for 2 years. He's now an RN MA.

7. Really? I didn't think any reservists were allowed on subs? But I guess if the navy has a need it's prepared to change the rules