What did the stokers do I wonder?!

imom1406

War Hero
rosinacarley said:
Queen's Commendation for Bravery (QCB)

Marine Engineering Mechanic 1st Class Lee James BROCKLESBY
Petty Officer Marine Engineering Mechanic (Mechanical) Paul Mark WYNNE

What did the stokers do I wonder?!

OK target rich environment for jokes, but i won't , suffice to say, well done and congratulations guys!

PartTimer said:
Congratulation to Lt Cdr Allan from Ferret who has been today awarded the MBE for service in Iraq.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ationalHonoursAndAwardsList8September2006.htm

Many congratulations to all our RN and RM counterparts who've also been awarded for their services and bravery on operations.

DITTO congratulations to all serving who are honoured remembering that those not honoured are remembered at home by many.

I am puzzled reading about a Fusilier being awarded the George Medal??

Is that not a peace time award? I am always confused when the crap flies then some poli states we are not at war etc.

Squirrel

Lantern Swinger
It's not a peace time award as such, (I don't think so anyway), but I think it's awarded for bravery whilst not in direct contact with the enemy. Something to that effect. I know an army bomb disposal officer was awarded the George Medal in this same round of awards.

Brains

Lantern Swinger
Backpacker1uk said:
Is that not a peace time award? I am always confused when the crap flies then some poli states we are not at war etc.

No, it's not a peace-time award. The distincion is that the Victoria Cross is awarded "for most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy."

The George Cross and George Medal are for acts 'not in the face of the enemy'.

If, say, they had rescued people from a burning building, then that would presumably not be in the face of the enemy, even if it was in a zone where an enemy were present. I can't claim to be an expert on this, but that is the distinction between the awards, not what the political status of the region is.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Brains said:
Backpacker1uk said:

No, it's not a peace-time award. The distincion is that the Victoria Cross is awarded "for most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy."

Unfortunately, the distinction can be quite arbitrary; wasn't it about a year or so ago, that a squaddy rescued several people from a burning AFV while recieiving incoming fire and received the GC not the VC because the incoming fire was from a "friendly" aircraft. Isn't one of Murphy's Laws of Combat that "Friendly fire isn't"? Personally, on that occasion I think we should have awarded the USAF "honorary enemy" status to allow the award of the VC.

Brains said:
Backpacker1uk said:

If, say, they had rescued people from a burning building, then that would presumably not be in the face of the enemy, even if it was in a zone where an enemy were present. I can't claim to be an expert on this, but that is the distinction between the awards, not what the political status of the region is.

Congratulations to all those awarded medals and decorations in this horrendous conflict.

Interesting comment on the GC and VC. I had always assumed that the VC was only awarded to servicemen and the GC was a lesser award reserved for civvies. :oops:

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
Well you may blush! Got a GC who turns up at our unit on special occaisions. Was originally awarded the Albert Medal for saving some lives at sea not under fire, but that was turned in to a GC. Brave chap, also holds the BEM "for an act of courage", this is different from a normal BEM as it has a large oak leaf cluster on the ribbon. (I think it is silver and much bigger than the one you get for a Mention.)

dunkers

War Hero
Is the award of a Mention still for, in the literal meaning, being "mentioned in dispatches" - ie having your name mentioned in the captain's report of an operation/action?

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
Deckhead_Inspector said:
Well you may blush! Got a GC who turns up at our unit on special occaisions. Was originally awarded the Albert Medal for saving some lives at sea not under fire, but that was turned in to a GC. Brave chap, also holds the BEM "for an act of courage", this is different from a normal BEM as it has a large oak leaf cluster on the ribbon. (I think it is silver and much bigger than the one you get for a Mention.)

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/BritishArmedForcesMedals.htm

Hyperlink should(!!?!!) take you to a neat little pdf file that has all the UK Armed Forces medals including the BEM with cluster that you refer to.

brigham600

War Hero
I remember the young AB on the Ardent who was awarded the George Medal for pulling a CPO from the after section base following the many air raids and massive damage. His name was John Dillon and he later had to sell his medal, along with the SAM to help him through hard times after leaving the RN.

Good to see the country looking after its ex-servicemen as always eh?

Latest Threads