RNR London

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by np60284, Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of questions.
    I work in London so i was looking at joining the London unit does anyone here go there ?? Also i would like to be weapon trained so what sort of role should i l ook to do ?? Last question how likely is it to be called up to say Afganistan and Iraq ??
    Sorry for all of the questions !!
  2. The London Unit is still in HMS President which has a nice watering hole for old hands of the RNR & RNXS. I'm afraid that I was last there (in uniform) in 1993.
  3. Do a search on here for AWFP (Above Water Force Protection), though I think they have changed it recently to Seaman (Reserves) or something. Anyway, if you want to be a Matelot with a Shooter, that's your Branch.

As to Iraq and Afghan.. what time can you be at Brize? Just kidding, I think it will take you a couple of years to get New Entry, HMS Raleigh and other Branch courses under your belt, before you are on the trained staff and are eligible. One of the serving RNR guys will be able to confirm. Also a good idea to give President a bell and get down for their presentation evening. Good luck. :thumright:
  4. Thanks for that sorry to be a pain but what is a Matelot ?? New to all this !!
  5. matelot - ee ees la francais pour le sailor!
  6. If I remember correctly the next Recruiting Evening at HMS President is Tuesday 8 July - so I would give them a ring on Monday if you really do want to go!

(next one after that is probably in September - unless anyone else knows better)
  7. Unfortunately i am away next week, does this mean i wont be able to join until September ??
  8. Well there won't be all that much going on now at HMS President between now and September anyway: the new entry classes start at the beginning of each term and the next one will be in September.

You sound like you're keen to join, in which case I'd do the following:

1. Go along to your nearest AFCO (Armed Forces Career Office), as they are the ones who process your application anyway. Details are easiest to find on the RAF website (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/nextsteps/afcolocator.cfm) but don't worry because the AFCOs are entirely tri-service. There is one in central London. They'll be very happy to talk to you about next steps. It's helpful to make an appointment, but not essential, and if you just walk through the door and say you want to join the RNR they'll be delighted to see you.

2. Phone HMS President and let them know you're interested. There may be an induction day for September's new entries sometime this month, and they'd probably be happy for you to turn up if you're serious about joining and you've already started the process with AFCO. It's not essential to go to the induction day, but it would certainly be helpful.

Good luck!
  9. Thanks for that I will get in touch with the AFCO as soon as I can.
    Thanks again :thumright:
  10. Sory got another question !!
    If you were to be deployed to Iraq/Afganistan what sort of role would you be doing if you were part of the AWFP team, would it be just guarding the ship /base or would you be required to go out on patrols or in convoys ??
  11. You could get considerable info from this site, however the accurate info that you are probably after is not really for this site, so pick up the phone, call HMS President and the AFCO and arrange for a face to face.

Good Luck

12. Primarily AWFP (or as they are known now, Warfare Seaman Reserves - SEA for short) augment RFA and minor war vessels anywhere in the world. Though you are almost guaranteed a stint on a platform in the Gulf (once mobolised), its unlikely to involve patrolling on shore. However, never let it be said that the Navy is nothing but novel with its man power, lets just say its unlikely.

Additional to say, you won't be going anywhere until you've completed half a dozen courses which if you spare 2 weeks a year for RNR activities should take about 3/4 years to complete. That is about the right length of time for you to become competent with the weapons and gain the right amount of experience and judgement to be effective.