Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RNR & Keep Your Job

hammockhead said:
Note there is nothing about them not discriminating against you when they are hiring you, on promotion, etc. If your employer decides not to hire or promote reservists there is nothing you can do about it. The government does not see any need to change with the current arrangements.

Claim to be gay/lesbian/muslim/hindu/buddhist/welsh and take them to tribunal for discrimating under those circumstances.

Has the advantage of increasing the RNRs quota for minority groups to boot.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

The Grown ups don't help, its ok for them in their Directorships, being able to pay someone to run their businesses. hence the classic quote down the Gulf" this will fantastic for your career" my response" will it bollocks, this is what I do for fun not a career, you don't pay enough".
I know the warmongers (most of whoms only experience of sea time is the Torpoint or Gosport ferries) will say leave then, but why should I. I enjoy the RNR and I'm prepared to do my bit, but when will the upper echelons realise that we do this for the love of it and not for civilian career improvement. until this is done people will continue to leave in droves, as we have no support from either employer, the RNR or the law.

beer_bosun said:
Claim to be gay/lesbian/muslim/hindu/buddhist/welsh and take them to tribunal for discrimating under those circumstances.

Has the advantage of increasing the RNRs quota for minority groups to boot.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

:D :D :D :D :D :D Like your style sir! top of the class for you :wink:

Sorry Warmonger, not a dig at you, I myself have enjoyed many a drunken trip on these fine vessels, Sometimes even 2 or 3 times in the same hour. Can't believe they didn't shake me.

The Lords are today considering this amendment to the Armed Forces Bill:

After Clause 344

THE EARL ATTLEE
THE LORD ASTOR OF HEVER

173 Insert the following new Clause—
"Discrimination against members of reserve forces
(1) A person commits an offence if, in relation to the offer of employment by him at an establishment in Great Britain, he discriminates against another on the ground that that person is or may become a member of Her Majesty's reserve forces—
(a) in the arrangements he makes for determining who should be offered that employment;
(b) in the terms on which he offers him that employment; or
(c) by refusing or deliberately omitting to offer him that employment.
(2) A person commits an offence if he discriminates against a person employed by him at an establishment in Great Britain, on the ground that that employee is or may become a member of Her Majesty's reserve forces—
(a) in the terms of employment which he affords him;
(b) in the way he affords him access to opportunities for promotion, transfer or training, or to any other benefits, facilities or services, or by refusing or deliberately not offering him access to them; or
(c) by dismissing him, or subjecting him to any other detriment.
(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable upon conviction to a fine not exceeding £25,000 and such damages as the court may award."

HH If this is a no shit dit and not a black cat, it is well good and not before time. I work for a v supportive company, a few dicks but what’s new and this change will not affect us. But it "should " protect us from the idiot strawberry mivvys

HH If this is a no shit dit and not a black cat, it is well good and not before time. I work for a v supportive company, a few dicks but what’s new and this change will not affect us. But it "should " protect us from the idiot strawberry mivvys

The amendment was discussed at Link but was eventually withdrawn. This is common with non-Government amendments, where support is insufficient, but usually serves to highlight issues of concern. It doesn't look like anything is going to get through on this bill.

Would a change in the law make ANY difference. :lol:

Your company will always find a way to get round the law. Why do you think all those solicitors are all soo rich.

However, we all keep going for what little thanks. The US reserve get a good pension & all free healthcare. What do we get. Leave Expires....

Think i can go to America!!!! Where is me pirate ship....... :roll:

rosinacarley said:
I can only comment by saying I have an excellent employer who supports the RNR. I know it is an easy thing to say, but the kind of employer that does not support your home-work balance is really not worth working for. Today is the the RNR, tomorrow it will be when someone close to you is ill and you need time to care.

As far as I am aware there is no statute about discrimination in respect of liability for the Reserve Forces, but there should be. I would only suggest speaking to the people at SABRE for what they are worth, and maybe we can get a campaign going for suitable legislation.

SILVER_FOX said:
Perhaps our resident Super Laywer Lady knows a way around it ... ?

SF

You are simply too kind, that will be £250 plus VAT please!

£250 for 5 minutes advice. That's makes you more expensive that the late Lord Mishcon!

hammockhead said:
The amendment was discussed at Link but was eventually withdrawn. This is common with non-Government amendments, where support is insufficient, but usually serves to highlight issues of concern. It doesn't look like anything is going to get through on this bill.

It stood no realistic chance. Bachbench and Opposition amendments are rarely adopted in a Government Bill unless there is substantial cross-party support, the proposed measure would be more or less cost neutral, there is public support for the measure (ie. it is a media hot topic), etc. This would impose a burden on SMEs and open the possibility of claims against the Treasury. It will only ever stand a chance if employer resistance is compromising national security by seriously and demonstrably leading to a depletion in reserve forces personnel and the Treasury is willing to compensate SMEs.

Latest Threads