RNR is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JordySEA, Mar 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ello Guys.

I'm expecting a heavy waiting list for my career choice, some people have recomended joining the royal navy reserve while i wait to get the foot in the door and learn about royal navy life.

Just wondering what people think of this, is it worth it? whats the process and how soon can i apply for that and any other facts that i can find about the rnr.

Thanks in advance, Jordan.

extra info:

Applying For sea spec.
    Done my RT.
    Doing Eye test tommorow, PJFT and medical, have not recieved dates for those yet.
  2. From what I've heard the RNR are fairly reluctant to take on people who are waiting to join the real Navy, you tend to make the other RNR recruits look bad.

In all seriousness though, they don't like taking you on because they will spend loads of money training you and then a year down the line you will fcuk off to Raleigh and they will lose you.

Spend your waiting period getting fit and shagging as many women as possible before you join.
  3. Good Shout, Im looking at 2 year wait.
    Gonna get me jog on.
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I'm RNR and would say that its not worth doing for the short period of time you'd be with it. Get fit, enjoy yourself and have some fun. Spending maybe a few drill nights in a unit counts for very little and won't get you ahead - you may well learn bad habits that your instructor at RALEIGH will have to 're-educate' you for! :)
  5. Alternatively you could join the RNR and not tell them you are going to Raleigh. Milk the system for 2 years then join Raleigh as one of the annoying ex RNR or sea cadet lads who think they know everything.
  6. Another question if anyone can answer: is it worth running in boots to get used to the feel or wait and break the ones issued?
  7. No point running in boots.
  8. You will not have to run anywhere far in boots at Raleigh except maybe on the assault course. It's not the Army.

Just use trainers.
  9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Have a look here: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=25148.html
  10. I like the RNR but I feel like a bit of a con artist spending time there when I wanna be a full navy boy. I try to go as infrequently as often in the hope that they will never have to pay me and, if they do, it won't be very much. I'm never gonna make a travel expenses claim either even though it costs me a fiver each time. I have to admit I was under the impression that the RNR was a de facto voluntary organisation when I embarked upon it - I think the getting paid part of it clouds the issue somewhat. I wish there was some kind of subsidiary rating created for potential full timers where they are just outright volunteers who go in every now and again, give up a bit of their time and contribute to the atmosphere but don't drain the resources as much. For instance, I'll be getting a uniform soon. Thanks and all that but wouldn't it be better if I didn't receive one?
  11. As far as boots go Jordy theres easier and less painful ways of smashing boots than running in them. Wait till Raleigh and then bother with it.
  12. I asked about this at my local RNR. They said they did not allow people to join who are already on a waiting list for the RN.
  13. I thought this is what you do once your in?
  14. Gotta practice though eh!?
  15. As long as you slow down by the perfume counter you should be okay.