RNR Insignia

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Old_Hand, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well its finally arrived, as of 1st July all RNR insignia is to be removed from uniforms. Our unit though have announced that it can be removed with immidiate effect and RN insignia to be issued.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

wey hey, you'll look like the rest of the t0ssers then.....hehehehe

(battle bowler on expecting incoming)

3. Cheeky barsteward - I've been tossing since 1969!.

4. Please tell me this doesn’t include – BADGE SEWING

5. Wasn't this announced last week - get with the program old boy :)

6. Leave my old boy out of it.

7. I wish we would get a bit of consistency between the 13 Units.
    All of one company & all that.

Why have you been told "removed with immediate effect" when it is not official until 1 July!?

Also, "RN insignia to be issued". Is this grat issue from slops ?
    Our XO/SLO are waiting until the official notification before any grat issue.

8. The AB's were told weeks ago (as it did not take HRH's say so) and yes exchanged one for one at slops. The removal of the R from executive curls was authorised by HRH with effect from 1st July. That this what may have caused confusion between unit and some of the contributors on here.

The bottom line is good news all round.

9. I don't really see what the problem is, the TA never wore any distinctive insignia when I was in it. The only difference was on CS95 when individual regiments might wear a flash or badge (ours was a mirror image 44 which resembled a trident on a green oval patch)

stab

10. I object to having the symbol I've sweated blood in being changed around for political reasons.

11. I can understand that U_A, and appreciate your point, but the way things are going half the armed forces are going to be reservists now. Furthermore since options for change loads of once proud units/services have been messed about with. My old corps is made up from 5 other old capbadges (i still remember what all the symbols built into my old badge mean, had an hour long lecture on just that in pre-basic training)

stab

12. "I object to having the symbol I've sweated blood in being changed around for political reasons. "

Sweated blood - grow up! You wore it on exercises and jollys - if you were mobilised then you would have worn straight stripes. Its just an outdated piece of cloth - lets not act like its some ancient worn battle ensign.

13. You've got no ******* idea what I've done with this insignia on me, you ignorant sack of shit. That, though, is beside the point. Are you saying that if you've been shot it's not on to change your insignia around, but if you've been shot then your insignia becomes inviolate?

In a more adult turn of phrase, I maintain that changing insignia for political reasons sucks; if something was actually changing (disbanding/merging/etc.) then a change makes sense. If we're replacing things because they're outdated, we'd have to replace every insignia with a simple colour code and the name of the unit/regiment/whatever written underneath it.

14. They are changing the insignia, because none of the other reserve forces have the differentiation including the RMR which now forms part of the the Maritime Reserves. Secondly, they changed it because some RNR had asked for its removal and when it was put to the vote about 80% of those that responded said that they want the change.

If that is political then, can we have more of it please. I appreciate I have never been shot at in my RNR tabs but am hoping it won't come to that in my new Royal Navy tabs either.

15. So what? So we were different. I don't see an issue with being different.

Will we be putting other decisions to the vote? Will we be taking votes on whether or not to engage the enemy?

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Girls please, If your after a uniform and lots of badges join the cub scouts (you even get a green lid). If you are intent on "looking like all the rest" here's a radical idea, become a regular and do the training and time "like all the rest". Far out idea huh?

17. Here, here. If i wanted to be in the RN I'd give up my 40k a year job and join up ^~

I like the reserve flash on the No'1s and i like the RNR tabs or sh*t deflectors as i like to call them. XD

Seriously though, i really am proud of being RNR. I know lad who've worn them for ages and it p*sses me off.

18. "You've got no ******* idea what I've done with this insignia on me, you ignorant sack of shit. That, though, is beside the point. Are you saying that if you've been shot it's not on to change your insignia around, but if you've been shot then your insignia becomes inviolate?"

Nice, so as soon as someone questions you, you resort to personal abuse. Face it, "sweated blood" is melodramatic bullshit. You worked hard, you wore a uniform and yes you put time in. To associate the "R's" with being some kind of sacred symbol that we should worship is frankly pathetic.
    Also if you are mobilised to be shot at then you lose the Rs and they were replaced with normal stripes - no one should go on ops with R's in their curl.

Its just a piece of cloth - get with the program and deal with it or get out of the RNR. Simple really!

19. Oh for god sake I thought this topic would die with the announcement can we expect another thread of 100 posts discussing the whole thing ALL OVER AGAIN!!

We werent feckin when happy when there wasnt an announcement and now there has been people we're still not happy....!!!

Let me know when your done arguing Ill be out doing making myself useful to the RN while your at it...Oh Ive left the sentimental bullshit at home couldnt get in in my gripl!

Its JUST A F**KING EPAULETTE OR A BIT OF STICHING IN A CURL....!!!

20. Its the same thing as in the 1970's - people waffling on about change being bad. Its not - we are a modern service working alongside the regular navy at all times. If you are so insecure in yourself that you need an R to feel special, then frankly, I pity you.