MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Hi all this might be a long one,

After some help on another thread I have cemented my desire to become an RNR officer (never any real doubt just some concerns about travel expenses) while studying at university with the hopes of going full time when I graduate.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or first hand experience of going through the process as any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

For example I'm just filling in my application (after attending the initial reserves presentation) and was wondering who the best references are? Should I put down my old cadet DC or such, or go more fully towards education?

As a random point it was heavily hinted that on medical forms just put down what they directly ask, don't put something down if it's not utterly necessary, for instance my fathers side has a prevalence to diabetes, would this be relevant?

Also I know there are specific topics on this but preparation for the AIB and general interviews? The booklet from the AFCO was Cack.

On a further point does anyone have any experience or in-depth knowledge of Project Hermes? As I would be very keen on perusing this during summer as it would fit perfectly, if it's still going that is!

Sorry if that was rambley rubbish but I want everything to go as well as humanly possible!

Cheers,

MenInSlacks

P.S. Seems to be some conflicting information in the recruitment books; at what point in training does one become a Midshipman? (Imagining all appropriate measures have been passed)

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You become a Middy after you pass your confirmation course. That's a long way in - maybe 18 months on the conventional route, and after a hard Summer if you go down the AOP (son of HERMES) route.

AOP will be going into 2018 at least.

Cannot give medical advice. @nemesis1066

Bear in mind that the purpose of AOP is to provide Officers for the RNR, not to stuff the pockets of students over the summer who then bugger off to the RN. Probably best not to mention that in any recruiting interview...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The medical questionnaire is pretty self explanatory, you answer the questions asked truthfully and completely. There is no ambiguity.

The Initial Maritime Reserves Presentation should have thoroughly briefed you on the selection process and indeed Op Hermes. That is the forum where questions should be asked, ideally but you'll have plenty of opportunities to familiarise yourself with the process and indeed the standards expected and recommended reference sources prior to AIB.

You'll be attested prior to completing the initial AFCO elements of selection and will have plenty of ongoing briefs prior to attending AIB from the RNR unit you join.

The cack AIB booklet provided by AFCOs is actually produced by the Admiralty Interview Board - be sure to give them your objective opinion when you attend for selection, a bit of constructive feedback would be most welcome. I'm of the personal opinion there should be a more comprehensive guide also.

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
You become a Middy after you pass your confirmation course. That's a long way in - maybe 18 months on the conventional route, and after a hard Summer if you go down the AOP (son of HERMES) route.

AOP will be going into 2018 at least.
Thank you, very informative and handy, I'm glad it is continuing too :)

Bear in mind that the purpose of AOP is to provide Officers for the RNR, not to stuff the pockets of students over the summer who then bugger off to the RN. Probably best not to mention that in any recruiting interview...
Ah I can imagine, hopefully if I get this first time I'll be able to serve the RNR for at least three years as I'm on an integrated masters, I don't want to screw them over :oops:

The medical questionnaire is pretty self explanatory, you answer the questions asked truthfully and completely. There is no ambiguity.
That's fair enough I wouldn't lie on one of those, not only because of the damn consequences. :confused:

The Initial Maritime Reserves Presentation should have thoroughly briefed you on the selection process and indeed Op Hermes.
It was briefly mentioned in the IMRP but it most of the presentation seemed quite geared towards Ratings (didn't mention it's name) and however they did all the stuff was quite old so perhaps that was the reason?

I gained most of my info on it from the reserve magazines o_O

you'll have plenty of opportunities to familiarise yourself with the process and indeed the standards expected and recommended reference sources prior to AIB.
That's fair enough, I was more meaning the references on the initial application document :confused:

The cack AIB booklet provided by AFCOs is actually produced by the Admiralty Interview Board - be sure to give them your objective opinion when you attend for selection, a bit of constructive feedback would be most welcome. I'm of the personal opinion there should be a more comprehensive guide also.
Ah well it is unfortunately very skimmed of details and incredibly short, they seemed to prioritise large pictures rather than actual information. It was mentioned that it was an old booklet so I don't know if they've improved it now?

A comprehensive guide would be incredibly helpful!

If I were to mention it, it would only be after I'd found my result ;)

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ah well it is unfortunately very skimmed of details and incredibly short, they seemed to prioritise large pictures rather than actual information.
Well it is for prospective X Branch Officers...

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
If you're applying now then there's plenty of time once you're in the door to track down people who have attended AOP either in unit or on a national weekend. Aim to find someone from the 2016 AOP as it changed a bit after Hermes. The best advice is get as physical fit as you can, inexplicably they lost people early on who couldn't pass the RNFT.

For the AIB again once you're in you'll be able to get hints and tips from the most recent attendees. That said the AFCO process far more people through it than your unit will, and (hopefully) get much better feedback on areas that applicants tend to do poorly on - so make use of them.

With the new early attestation process you'll be able to start attending the unit pretty quickly, which never used to happen for direct entry officers. The Initial Naval Training (INT) team and the Young Officer Training Officer (YOTO) will be there to help and answer questions.