RNR forum tagline

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by hammockhead, May 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The RNR forum is currently tagged "Part of the Royal Navy but there are always separate issues to discuss ..." which was borrowed from the TA forum at our sister site when this place was set up.

Well, I don't know whether or not the TA is part of "the Army", but the RNR certainly isn't part of the Royal Navy though it is part of the Naval Service. Surely we can come up with something better?

2. Not wishing to sound like i've spat my dummy at the suggestion, but the official line now is that we 'are' now part of the navy.

All new i.d. cards say Royal Navy now too.

3. When I augment an exercise, it's with the Royal Navy, If I am called up to go to war it's with the Royal Navy. I serve on a ship that is commissioned and flys the White Ensign.

OF COURSE WE ARE PART OF THE ROYAL NAVY, YOU D**K HEAD. (Yes I am shouting at you)

And if you don't believe me give COMMARES a ring, he will leave you in no doubt!

I had some respect for you on this forum, but that has gone now.

4. Oh for God's sake, I'm not suggesting the RNR shouldn't be part of the RN; I am simply saying it hasn't happened yet, and we should think of a more imaginative tagline for the forum rather than lifting it off ArRSe.

There is a big difference between the WRNS and QARNNS, which were fully merged into the RN in 1993 and 2000 - and the RNR, which like the RM, RFA, RMR, RFR and RMAS remain separate entities within the Naval Service. If you want to bring the command into it, CMR has said that this is going to remain the case for the foreseeable future, because the RN is maintained by the Crown under the royal prerogative, whereas the RNR is a creature of statute, and is separately authorised, maintained and deployed under the Reserve Forces Acts.

But go ahead and believe what your ID card says if you like.

5. How do you define "merged" into the RN? The RNR now comes under 2SL's remit, does it not, uniform distinctions are on their way out and so forth, making whatever difference there is pretty seamless.

Is it not a bit pedantic to be differentiating between "Royal Navy" and "Naval Service" anyhow.

6. How about "Letting the RN look after business until war breaks out". We all know that when the sh1t hits the fan we have to come along and bail them out.

7. Perhaps you are in a postiton to question what CMR et al are saying? If so why post it here, simply tell him. Or are you afraid of being removed from your comfort zone?

8. Don't come down to the level some RNR bashing types have been stooping to, it'll only give them ammunition.

9. The RNR now comes under Fleet (WEF 26.01.06).

10. I really should'nt bite,
    How about "Upperdeck sentries to the Queen since 2003"

11. (Biting back)- only one role among many.

12. Come on people, we don't need this. Fare enough there used to be a gap between the RNR and RN which we are bridgeing, and doing it well. If talk like this goes on it can only do that process harm. Forget the old "Them and Us" mentality. Lets get on with the intergration so that we become one big happy family.

13. Come on people, we don't need this. Fare enough there used to be a gap between the RNR and RN which we are bridgeing, and doing it well. If talk like this goes on it can only do that process harm. Forget the old "Them and Us" mentality. Lets get on with the intergration so that we become one big happy family.

14. Reminds me of the WWII cartoon where a RNVR officer is asked by his girlfriend "who is the chap with the straight stripes?" and he replies, "oh, he's just one of the chaps who run the Navy in peacetime."

This was in the context of 75% of the manpower in the Fleet during the war being RNR/RNVR.

15. Aww Shucks, lets just leave of the feudin and a fightin.................

16. No, I am simply listening more carefully to what he is saying. It is one thing to say our aim is greater integration; it is another thing to say we have achieved complete integration already.

I have heard a lot of similar rubbish, such as:

a) we are called the "Royal Navy Reserve" (when the ID cards came out with that on).
    b) there is no such thing as the RNR, we are now Maritime Reserves. Well, someone forgot to tell Parliament, because the Reserve Forces Act still says the reserve forces include a Royal Naval Reserve and a Royal Marines Reserve.
    c) the top-level budget merger under CINCFLEET means we are part of the RN. What did they think CINCNAVHOME was part of, the RAF?
    d) we lost/will lose the Rs last month/next month, by Christmas etc.

17. I didn't start it, sir, I just wanted a better tagline, which I think Beerbad has succeeded in providing!

18. Posts like this are the reason that certain elements of the RNR have a bad reputation with the RN.

I can just see the scene now, Collingwoods bar, young regular YO types in top bar enjoying a few beers and discussing stuff, whilst downstairs the crusty old coffin dodgers wearing best jacket / tie sit round some port and discuss semantics of COMMARRES Vs RN. Ever wondered why the RNR has an image problem?

19. Couldn't agree more!

20. Well, if you look at any Government stats they always refer tot he 'Naval Service' as it includes the RM as well as RN (and their respective reserves). It looks very like the RNR is going the way of the RAN anyway, with full and part time members of the same service.