RNR et al

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Billy Q, Nov 28, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So far as I am aware, post WW2-SCC and RNR Officers have been held in a certain amount of ridicule.

SCC Officers have long been regarded as "dubious" so far as their real intentions are concerned and RNR Ofiicers spending more time at their Naval Tailors and on their appearance than donning No. 8's and getting their nails dirty. Heaven forbid.

Is this still the case?
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

What exactly is the point of posting this thread?

RNR officers are occasionally odd, so are plenty of regulars. That hasnt stopped them turning to when needed and doing their duty.

SCc officers are volunteers who give up a lot of their spare time to help often deeply troubled children and can make a very positive life changing difference to their prospects in life. If you feel that mocking them is necessary then so be it, but it says a lot more about you than it does the SCC.

Finally I will assume you are not implying that some SCC adults may be akin to jimmy savill, but could i suggest you have the decency to amend your post to make that very clear.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One thing I've found over the years is that many who served in the Armed Forces then leave, seem to retain the same mentality and outlook associated with their age/rate or rank upon discharge, for the rest of their life. The same goes for those with uninformed prejudices, I doubt I'll ever convince my 8O year old Dad his racism, sexism & bigotry are not socially acceptable in current society. Likewise my 17 year old son will probably think my generation were beastly to those Argentinian chappies who tried to liberate the Malvinas.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I apologize as I wasn't aware that Sir J Saville had been a SCC Officer. I knew his brother had had a long and successful career in the Royal Navy, however.
    • Braindead Braindead x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Well up until 1958 and its merger with the RNVR I imagine RNR officers, being professional mariners, "got their nails" dirty rather more frequently than their RN counterparts.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Also, didnt 8s get renamed 4s about 20 years ago?
  7. Yeh, but some of us still refer to them as such, just like I'm an SA (branch title changed 8 years ago) and female sailors are still referred to as Wrens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are still professional mariners among RNR officers, some of whom command vessels that dwarf even the 'biggest ever' QEC.
  9. Seadog

On discharge, the OP was a local acting junior assistant steward who had an embarrassing man crush on an RNR Subby from a posh school. He'd rather not be reminded.
  10. That's the problem with jnr stewards, they aim too high.
  11. Seadog

I'm not mocking stewards, they have access to my toothbrush.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Your father was born and grew up in far less propitious times than you and your son.
    Your father is a product of his time accounting for his views unless, of course, he is irredeemably thick and brutish.
  13. Never thought I'd say it but I wish I was a Steward ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1