RNR Diver

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Uk_D, Apr 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am considering joining the RNR with a view to joining the Underwater Force Protection Unit.
    I understand that this role is nothing to do with mine clearance but minor repair work or underwater searches.

I am a qualified BSAC diver and also have worked with the underwater unit in my current job.

It is something I am really interested in doing and I just wanted to hear from anyone who is in the unit.

Also, might sound like a stupid question but as a diver does this mean I will miss out on getting to go to Stan?

2. Have you thought about asking at he AFCO or your nearest unit?

If you, then you would have probably been told that very few RNR ratings actually get mobilised for Afghanistan, and if you did join a branch (not sure which) that was regularly mobilising ratings for that location, your need to get through New Entry Training, then Specilaisation Training first, that's probably 2-3 years at the quickest! As for joining as an officer, a few branches to have enduring mobilisations, but it would probably take you 5 years, or more to get trained. Troops out by 2015, kinda works against you.

Most Royal Naval Reservists are doing the job because they like it, and not because they want to get mobilised to an army-centric land environment!

Tin hat on, awaiting incoming
  3. It is most certainly not the reason I want to join just to go to Afghanistan. I am primarily motivated to join the RNR as UFP. It was just a question I am sure there are many worth while operations and possible deployments that I will get to work on.
  4. Uk d
    Im Pretty sure that as a Navy Diver (reservist) you will probably spend your time doing mainly Navy things, afghan, despite the huge efforts of dark blue and lovat that have deployed, is army centric, and thus, (you did ask the question) very unlikely that you will deploy to Afghanistan. (and even more unlikely that you will be fully trained by 2015)

you are (as always) entirely correct ref combat troops etc, however, I don't think that many RN reservists are likely to be going to Afghanistan after 2015, and I will hazard a guess that no RNR divers will be, and that was the point of my post.

I suspect that by then, we will be fuly embroiled in some other operation east of suez that has a distinctly maritime flavour to it ........... But I could be wrong!
  5. Possibly the chance of something along the lines of counter piracy off East Africa?
  6. If your branch SO1 will allow you to deploy as a seres rating, and you have the time to do the training, I'm sure you'll be here in double quick time!
  7. Seres rating? Also you say you'll be "here" in double quick time... are you in East Africa at the moment?
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

the OP wrote [my italics]
    The subsequent stuff treats the OP as if he's already in.

OP doesn't have a Branch SO1 and may not even know what one is.

Nudge nudge wink wink..... sounds exciting.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. UK D

Each Unit holds regular introduction evenings for potential joiners; it might be worthwhile giving your nearest one a call and asking about going along.

Which one is nearest to you?
  10. Here, there? What's a T between friends?
  11. Bob on.... No idea what he's on about SO1 a guess Senior Officer??
  12. That's why you should really speak to the experts at he AFCO/nearest unit. They will be able to answer your questions at the level you understand
  13. I've spoken to them however.....not much info to pass on the UFP role so that's why I turned to the forum.
  14. PM Me if you need UWFP info
  15. Did you go to your nearest Unit or did you speak to someone on the 'phone?
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. SR - Not sure if you're aware but the RNR have been tasked with doubling their numbers over the next few years and i'm not sure that the tone of your reply is justified.

If you were to take a trip to your local AFCO you may find that they know little about the RNR and in some cases can be extremely unhelpful and counter productive when it comes to recruitment into the RNR. I'm sure that they don't do it on purpose but the number of complaints I get regarding the AFCO is very worrying. It is also a great shame because I personally have a very good relationship with the people who work there. Also the fact that people may have to travel up to 50 miles to attend a recruitment event it makes perfect sense that people come on here and ask a question or six before spending an arm and a leg on getting to a recruitment event which may or may not end up being a waste of time.

I'm not one for encouraging f*ckwits to join - we have plenty of them already - but if someone asks a legitimate question where's the harm in giving them a reasonable response?:frustrated:
  17. Thanks guys for your structured responses this is helpful. I've again contacted my local AFCO and they have put me in touch with someone who specifically deals with UWFP recruitment so I may get a bit further in my quest now!!! :)
  18. Fitness matey, lots and lots of lovely fitness!
  19. Just as a matter of interest, in which part of the country, roughly speaking, will you be looking for a Unit?

I ask just in case there is a Potential Recruit Introduction Evening scheduled for the near future.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm sure his AFCO will be best placed to tell him all he needs to know about that and other events... :roll: