RNR Defence Review

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by corbett12, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like changes and maybe cuts to the RNR may happen. A review is taking place at the moment. We were not given any details as of yet but a review is happening. I know for new entrys courses for Raleigh have been stopped until April 2011. Fingers crossed this review won't be to heavy on us.

2. I hope it won't hit us too hard. I am hoping to start with the RNR in January, I have a day with them on Saturday... Looking forward to it so much.

Fingers crossed eh.

3. You sure? Have you got a source for this? As I was told last Thursday that the New Entrys course was still running.

4. We had a visit from the Second Sea Lord last night. He said that there is a review going ahead at the moment but could not give us any details. I asked about Raleigh to a reponse that from Nov 2010 till April 2011 Raleigh courses have been cancelled. So anyone who were due to go to Raleigh will have to wait for next intake in April.

5. You sure your not confusing Raleigh shutting for the RNR with the regular Navy? I know for definite that the next intake for the RN into Raleigh will be April. But I was under the impression that RNR training will continue there as some courses will still be going ahead at Raleigh.

6. I am sure your be ok to join in Jan.

7. I am pretty sure that New entry courses have Been stopped. I know for November intake is cancelled. Other courses due to take place there I am unsure but for New entrys there is nothing till April next year.

8. I am pretty sure that New entry courses have Been stopped. I know for November intake is cancelled. Other courses due to take place there I am unsure but for New entrys there is nothing till April next year.

9. But are you getting confused with the regular RN? As we were told last Thursday that the courses would still be running and we were given a sheet with the dates for the NE course. I may be wrong, I just want full clarification of this.

10. No I am not getting confused with Regular RN we were told last night about these changes to courses. Things can still change.

11. I must admit, the impression I got from him last night was also that it was closed to Regular NE's but the RNR courses would be running as normal. Of course I could be mistaken, it wouldn't be the first time ;)

12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The RNR headcount is drawn from the requirement by HQ NAVY to provide X number of augmentees in various roles to support a fully mobilised RN conducting operations, plus NATO requirements plus a margin.

As the RN has been cut, and as some RN defence assumptions have been changed, it is likely that the RNR headcount will be reduced to meet the new defence assumptions. I wouldnt worry too much though, there is plenty of deadwood in the system who will go before active members do (or one would hope that to happen!)

There is also a wider review into the Reserves going on, which will report next year. Too early to say what will happen, but it appears that No10 is pro reservist though, so dont worry too much - yet!

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To echo Purple Twiglet, coincidentally, at a meeting with FOSNNI/Flag Officer Reserves yesterday afternoon, it was announced that the Reserves (Tri-Service) are indeed undergoing a review.

Specifics aren't known, but given the RN had a 15% manpower reduction (as compared to the Army's 7%) we were briefed that the Reserves could anticipate reductions within the 7-15% bracket.

14. Purple_twiglet

With RNR manpower standing at roughly 2000 - that equates to a roughly 150 - 300 people gone. You could cull this with just the 'non attenders' to be honest.

15. Ref 'HMS Raleigh closing Nov-May' (-ish):

It's closed for regular RN new entry classes only. RNR NE classes will continue as published (I've just got next years dates) and Raleigh is open for all the other spec training it does - NMT, seamanship, submariners etc etc. The November NE course for RNR was cancelled, but only because the preceding course was moved back a couple of weeks and they were too close together.

16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I heard via rumour control that in days gone by, some units were slow to process discharges of people who had technically left (to the point of a couple of years in at least one case that I know of!) to ensure that the unit had surplus MTDs for the regular attenders - this would also give the unit an artificially high headcount that could easily be cut should the ened arise without affecting those that attended and were committed.

17. Can you give us the details of the up and coming courses for Raleigh

18. Can you give us the details of the up and coming courses for Raleigh

19. Purple_twiglet

MODERATOR HAT ON.

If you need to know course dates then go through your unit who has all the information that you need. Any posting of course dates and times here will be immediately deleted.

20. Ok thanks