RNR Committment

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by benji84, Sep 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm looking to join RNR and understand the committment required.

How easy is it to take family holidays bearing in mind that your have to do 12 days training per year (non-continuous).

Are there enough opportunities to make up the time aside drills nights? Is taking holidays frowned upon?

Cheers

Ben

2. As a general rule of thumb, no problem at all so long as you plan more than a couple of months ahead.

With regards to the continuous, the courses you'll be required to do are planned literally a year or more ahead, and depending on exactly which course, there may be more than one a year that you can plan around.

As for the non-continuous, it's a bunch of weekends and as many drill nights as you can get in. Again, the weekends are generally planned months or a year in advance, and it's understood and expected that you won't go to all of them. Likewise drill nights. Off for two weeks with the family? No worries shippers, make sure any duty watches you have are covered by your oppos and have a nice time.

3. Do you lot have to do a camp qualifying course of 15 continuous days to get your bounties?

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I don't know if its changed in the last 4 years, but up to 2006, bounty qualification was based on 12 days Continuous Training (CT) and 12 days Admin Training (AT). AT was the drill evenings, weekends etc, while CT is the time aware training on career courses, operational training, etc. Given some courses like survival, weapons handling, etc were only 5 days long, you could qualify by doing 2 five day blaocks of CT augmenting with additional AT. I always preferred doing minimum 2 week blocks of CT where possible to avoid the chance of some **** accountancy based Staff Office pointing out that you hadn't got ehe right numbers of days to qualify!

5. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I am looking forward to starting.