RNR and RMR, oh, and whether its worth it!

I'm new here, so apologies if I've got this in the wrong place!

I have been in the Combined Cadet Force over a year now and I am loving it so much (and have seen and spoken to RN personnel) I am almost definate that I want to join as a Warfare Officer at 18, but I am onky taking my GCSEs this year.

I'd like to join the RNR or RMR for a couple of years and wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
Evening,

My personal feeling is that you should stick with the CCF, if you intended to go to AIB in a little over two years. I suspect getting on the trained strength will take most of the period in question, and your academic commitments should be your foremost priority.

The courses offered by the CCF can be as informative as ours; you don't get paid, but neither are you subject to the tosh that RNR/RMR might be.

Finally, not knowing where you at at school, you should consider if getting from school to unit for evening and/or weekend training is practicable.

If, however, you decide to go to university before BRNC then consider joining the URNU, who probably have the best of both worlds.
Does any of that help?
BH

Yeah that's really useful! Getting there wouldn't be much of a problem as my local unit is Sherwood, which has a train stop a couple of minutes away :)

The problem I have with the CCF are twofold really: being in the Midlands, there isn't much sea, so the unit staff are fairly "relaxed" so to speak; and also the CCF courses are good for qualifications but don't actually get you in contact with RN personnel or see what they are doing.

I don't just want to be a pain in the proverbial to you guys though, just to leave during training ;):)

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
Well, your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

I shall withdraw to my default position. If you wish to look at it further then engage with the Whole Ship Co-Ord at Sherwood. He/she will give you a steer on what they might offer.

Be prepared, though for a few hoops to jump through, not least of all parental consent. Because of your age there will be limits on what you can and can't do - the RN take Duty of Care to Minors very seriously. That's not a bad thing, but it's only fair that I manage your expectations.

If you want to do sea stuff try the STS square riggers, or similar.

PO_Tato

I wonder whether it would be worth calling in at the AFCO to ask about the current situation for 6th form scholarships and to check how old you need to be to apply for Warfare Officer, as I don't think that you need to wait until you are 18. Getting on board sooner rather than later and beginning your application might mean an opportunity for a Potential Officer Candidate Visit, which you might like (if considered suitable).

I was wondering whether the Sea Cadets might offer you more opportunities for sea time, by the way.

Soleil

Unfortunately I've already missed the boat for 6th form scholarships :(

I've asked AFCO about POV but as I'm not in the process for Warfare Officer I can't go on one, and I have to be 17 to apply!

I am in the CCF and am trying to organise a trip to a ship so that might be a good start? If anyone knows where to start with organising this, I would appreciate it greatly.

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
Soleil
I am in the CCF and am trying to organise a trip to a ship so that might be a good start? If anyone knows where to start with organising this, I would appreciate it greatly.
Portsmouth has an office dedicated to arranging visits (don't ask for the CVF, they have a waiting list longer than their estimated service). I don't have the contacts to hand, sorry. Hoping AN Other might assist here....

ETA: I think @soleil is giving excellent advice; but I will refrain from stepping outside the RNR/RMR parts of your enquiry.
BH

Last edited:

Faded

Midshipman
I wouldn't worry about the RMR unless you were hoping to go pilot and serve within the Royal Marines.

It would certainly teach you important life skills such as mental robustness, physical fitness and give you a lot of confidence but it's a huge commitment and to be honest a bit of a waste if you just plan on spending your time as a Warfare Officer.

Don't think you can you only get leadership skills through a military capacity (but stick with cadets) check out opportunities in the 'real world'

Whilst I know people do join and do well at 18, personally I think it can be a bit to young and I'm not sure you can have the necessary life experience to be a leader at that age- remember being an officer isn't about just giving orders, you'll be dealing with the welfare of people under you.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I wish I'd been more proactive at 16.

Thanks a lot! This has given me a lot to think about :)
Take your time, collect as much info as possible, arrange a meeting at your local Reserve unit and discuss option available, deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life can be challenging, my next notch is 60yrs old and I am still trying to decide what to do?

PO_Tato, As you live in the Nottingham area, your best chance of visiting a ship is when one comes into Liverpool, I would have thought. Sometimes they come in for Armed Forces Day and events like that.

I see no reason why you shouldn't send an e-mail to the recruiters in Liverpool to ask for advice about how a group of interested CCF members might arrange to visit a ship, but you should also let one of the adult staff at your CCF unit know that you have enquired, so that there is a suitable point of contact for the recruiters to liaise with if there are firm arrangements to be made.

I see no reason why you shouldn't send an e-mail to the recruiters in Liverpool to ask for advice about how a group of interested CCF members might arrange to visit a ship, but you should also let one of the adult staff at your CCF unit know that you have enquired, so that there is a suitable point of contact for the recruiters to liaise with if there are firm arrangements to be made.
Ok, thanks a lot! I'll drop them an email!