RNR Air Branch

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by FrogPrince, Oct 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks,

Q1. Is it necessary to be ex-Regular FAA to serve with the Air Branch ?

Q2. Do you train on an individual basis with the Regulars during the week / when time allows or are there Air Branch specific training weekends ?

Thanks,

FP

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Q1 - Yes.

There is no entry for RNR personnel unless you are ex WAFU. The RNR Air Branch is to all intents and purposes a 'private navy', and RNR personnel very rarely encounter their air branch colleagues.

3. :thanks: :thumright: Slim .Waspie .chockhead 819. :w00t: Your next draft :whew:

4. PT - not true on both counts. If you have relevant qualifications and are ex regular especially aircrew you can join. We have ex RAF pilots in the branch and if by the look of your avtar you are ex AAC there could be an oppurtunity, depends on skill set and needs of FAA.

With regards to to getting around other RNR's that is bollocks we just dont put out big bunting and lights saying 'LOOK AT US AREN'T WE GREAT' like some branches. (well sometimes especially after a few pints :dwarf: )

There are AIR Branch carrying out instructional duties with Command Leadership Teams, new entry, range officers, etc etc etc. You will be amased. From my own experience it was the RNR units who kept themselves as a private club until the re-organisation in regions and national training events. :bball:

Sh*t need a brew and a lie down now. Way past a wooooooos bedtime. time for a daysmen hour i think. :thumright:

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Fair enough Bisley - all I'll say is that after 10 years, numerous exercises, and 3 branches, I have yet to meet, let alone work with an Air Branch officer or rating!

I agree some areas of the RNR were a private navy, but times are changing. I think the fact that AIR is exclusively ex-reg gives it a subtely different feel to the rest of the RNR.

6. PT - completely agree the RNR has changed and alot of dead wood has been removed. As an ex reg branch we spend alot of our time back with regulars which is our job but beware we get everywhere :thumright: especially if a piss up is involved :dwarf: :dwarf:

7. PT - It seems to depend on what branch you're in or what weekends or exercises you do. I've bumped into Air branch people loads of times - and they are a good run ashore

8. Thanks, all.

I'm long time TA, never Regular and the only things I have ever piloted are a C-152 and a PA-28. With 6 Regt AAC (V) established and due to expand next year I was asking from the point of view of jointery and training opportunities....

I have an interest in all things to do with Flight Ops at the minute, as I'm putting together 'a cunning plan' for our TM. Until a couple of days ago I had understood that all things Flight Ops were only taught at RAF Shawbury but I have since learnt that Yeovilton teaches the stuff too. Our desired end state is a modularised AC / Flt Ops course for teaching to reservists as part of a wider multi-year package to prepare people to work in JHF-type environments. (A portion of this should be not too much different to the stuff taught to a PPL student, methinks.)

:thumright:

FP