RNR air branch to RNR

Evening all, looking for some advice/knowledge about potentially transferring from the RNR air branch to a conventional RNR unit.

Long story short ex regular with a lot of green/field experience but I now live and work in the SE of England (therefore my local units would be President/Medway or Portsmouth) and getting a bit bored with the long commute down to the SW to watch trailers fly beneath helicopters at night for 24 days (nights) a year. Being a WAFU I’m fully aware my general sea/navy skills and knowledge is very lacking but I do have a background in training and highly competent in weapons handling and tactics. Also a fully substantive LH.

I suppose what I’m asking is;
1) is it worth transferring
2) what role would my skills potentially work with
3) which unit would be worth being administered by/attending as all 3 have pros/cons for traveling to

thank you for any help or advice

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
1) is it worth transferring
2) what role would my skills potentially work with
3) which unit would be worth being administered by/attending as all 3 have pros/cons for traveling to
Greetings.

As ever, this is very subjective without knowing far more about you, and your individual circumstances. Likewise - what are your aspirations for your time in the RNR?

You will be aware that the RNR is preparing to move away from unit based to branch based management of individuals - in effect following the model of your current spec, and of Media Ops and engineering.

1. Always worth a look, IMHO - my site name might suggest hypocrisy if I did not say that! You don't have to jump having had a look around.

2. If you are underslung qualified might be worth speaking to SO1 Logs, as (I think) that is in the Logs Matrix. "Highly competent in weapons handling and tactics" - suggests WarSea. WarSea is the branch that the RNR is pushing at the mo - we are under the cosh to provide sailors for both OPV and QE classes (chalk and cheese there!)

3. If you do go WarSea go to King Alfred. They have a fantastic new facility immediately on the waterfront adjacent to HMS Victory and I think, once they get imbedded there, there will be loads of opportunities. You say you live in the SE and that both PRES and Medway are also within striking distance. Don't forget Wildfire at Northwood, if that is closer; WILD has a less formal atmosphere as a unit, but they don't have the facilities that PRES and KING A do.

Hope that helps.
Feel free to PM for more, if I can be of service.

Latest Threads