RNR AIB Knowledge expected?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by rnr77, Nov 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, im (hopefully) going to be having my AIB for the RNR in march-time. If im honest at the current time i do not know lots about the AIB mainly because im in the middle of medicals etc, finished the aptitude test.

I was wondering what exactly is expected in the AIB in terms of knowledge of the navy? Surely anyone can read a book, i didnt think knowledge would be an assessment, more management skills and intelligence.
  2. Hi rnr77,

From the literature I've been provided prior to my AIB the service knowledge questions are made up of 80 general service and 20 defence knowledge questions, all multiple choice with one correct answer.

Yes, anyone can read a book but not everyone takes it on board what they've read. I believe the fact they are testing your knowledge is a measure of your motivation, just how much reading you have done and just how in depth you've gone into it.
  3. Part of the assessment is if you bothered your arse to do any preparation.

Furthermore, only a complete tool joins up to something they don't know about/understand, so they will want to be sure that you know what you're getting into. Training is extremely expensive and there's no point in spending thousands on you for a couple of years and you then discover that actually, an A/S/Lt's job is a bit chad. Which it is. But if you know that in advance, you can look forward to S/Lt, which is slightly less chad.

Finally (for now), one thing I don't recommend turning up to AIB with is an over-confident, dismissive attitude. It gets up their bums.