RNR after TU from Regulars?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by snapdragon, Aug 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all. Been a while since I was here. Brief history, I was a stoker on a now defunct ship and was discharged Temperamental Unsuitability. Turned out a lot of stuff was going on at home while I was at sea and I suffered depression.

Course, once Jack, always Jack, even though I didn't stay very long at all. I miss it. Thinking now of joining the RNR. When I was TUd, they told me I could rejoin, but I suspect that's gash myself. I've got a little boy now and I'm absolutely not interested in rejoining the regulars even if I could.

I can commit the time, and now my partner is self employed and free during the days, mobiliisation isn't the problem it might once have been.

I know that only the AFCO folks can give me a definitive answer, but have I got a chance at all, or isn't it worth the parking fee to even visit?

Many thanks!

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Depends what you want to do in the RNR really and how old you are. By all means go for it, but without wanting to sound harsh, you want to join an organisation which has a very high likelihood of you being deployed, and yet you've previously been discharged. Is there a danger the problems will flare up again and you'll only end up being discharged all over? I think you need to be really honest and ask what you want out of it, and whether something like working as an adult assistant in the Sea Cadets (naval life, but majorly important task) may give you the RN fix without the hassle of deploying?

3. Go along to your AFCO if your serious and take with you all your discharge documents including your last pay statement. The process for joining the RNR is the same as the RN. However; you will have to sign a release letter for the AFCO to access your medical docs. A letter will then be sent to Captain Naval Recruiting along with your med docs. The docs will be perused by the Senior Medical Officer and he will make the decision as to whether or not you may make an application to join.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As TBS states, Medical Discharges are in the realms of the Senior Medical Officer, Service Entries [SMO(SE)] when it comes to re-applying to join the Armed Forces, Regular or Reserves.

In broad terms, in order to manage realistic expectations, the medical standards for entry are pretty much the same throughout the Naval Service as the jobs are theoretically interchangeable - no point joining the Reserves if unwilling or unable to be mobilised/deploy.

Best of luck.

5. I have a suspicion discharge as Temperamentally Unsuitable isn't a medical discharge but an administrative one (did you go through the Medical Board of Survey process? If not, it's not a medical discharge).

Having said this, if you were depressed, SMO(SE) will have to be consulted.

APN