RNR Adventure and Travel

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by nichm1, Apr 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I am thinking of joining the Royal Navy Reserves with a view to have a Full Time Reserve Service in 3 or 4 years time.

I just want to know does this happen often or is it rare, and can you request this or not.

Also in the Reserves in there much opportunity to do training abroad or any adventure training.

Any info will be hugely appreciated.

2. I don't want to appear stupid but why join the RNR to go FTRS? Why not just join the RN? You either want to do it or you don't.

3. Simply put; won't happen. Most FTRS billets are being cut back due to a lack of money and other reasons. If you want to be a regular, join the RN.

As for training abroad - depends again what branch you choose, but Afghanistan and off the coast of Somalia are nice places to train.. and you'll get adventurous whilst out there too!

4. Off topic for a sec, that reminds me of a potential new entry. Staff were whipping round the class asking who are you, what do you do, your hobbies etc and one very young chap said, 'extreme sports'. So the CMEA raises an eyebrow and asks what he means - to which he replied snowboarding or something - coming right back and asking if there were any opportunities to do 'extreme sports' in the Navy. Chief shrugs, thinks for a sec and says "we could drop you off 50 miles east of Port Stanley - come back for you in an hour - see if you're still swimming - that'd be pretty extreme..."

5. Yeah I want to join the RN for only a short period of time not make a whole career out of it.

6. So go join the RN. You can always get out after a few years, or if you're trying to use it to climb some ladders, they'll happily throw you out.