Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RNP Training

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
They were useful when I worked Weymouth/Portland, there were a couple of attractive young ladies as well.

Chris P

War Hero
You have certainly proven that you have a sense of humour.
We all take the p!ss out of the regulating branch as it used to be called. However I bet everyone of us on here have been or are still mates with some members of the branch. Uncle Tom Wilkinson of the ARK Royal series sailor was liked by most people, even those he had to put in the rattle.
I was mates with a Jossman named Twiggy Parry, now there was a poacher turned gamekeeper. However my lips are sealed :)
I think Uncle Tom was on the Big E too and yes he was a gent.

Chris P

War Hero
True dit, tell him not to stand too close to the OOW on the gangway, on the Old Grey Ghost whilst in Mombassa we had a stoker come up the gangway well tanked up on Tusker + whatever, he started facing up to the OOW who took a swing at him with his telescope, stokes ducked and the PO Reg stood next to the OOW copped a smack around the head with the telescope, in the meantime stokes took off below decks. Not sure if they caught him.

Spencekel

Bit saddened to see that overnight the OP has shipped out . . .

?? PERSEC Issues &/or OH exercised powers of . . . DELETED BY MODERATORS
Don’t you worry! I’m still here. Admittedly I tapped out early on and asked admin to delete my account, but there was a turn in events and I wished to stay! Alas, my account had already been deleted! But fear not, I’ve re-registered :cool: :p

huwshpis

War Hero
That’s a shame,I always loved seeing the writing reggy concentrating so much his tongue was sticking out, however if you took his ruler off him he forgot how to write.
I don’t see many civvy coppers of that calibre in court these days, they were everywhere when I was newly-qualified.

Don’t you worry! I’m still here. Admittedly I tapped out early on and asked admin to delete my account, but there was a turn in events and I wished to stay! Alas, my account had already been deleted! But fear not, I’ve re-registered :cool: :p
Good News, Welcome Back & BZ!

PS Those new to the Mob/RN/Pusser/Andrew can find comfort in translating our strange vocabulary with the help of 'Jackspeak' an invaluable 'dictionary' compiled by Commander Rick Jolly (RIP) a former RN Surgeon of note, particularly for his service throughout Operation Corporate aka the 1982 Falklands conflict.

At AMAZON Jackspeak: A guide to British Naval slang & usage Hardcover – Illustrated, 22 Feb. 2018​

by Rick Jolly (Author)
4.8 out of 5 stars 424 ratings
#1 Best Seller in Motor Boating & Cruising

Jackspeak is a comprehensive reference guide to the humorous and colourful slang of the Senior Service, explaining in layman's termsthe otherwise cryptic everyday language of the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines and the Fleet Air Arm. Featuring more than 4,000 alphabetical entries, it was compiled by an ex-RM surgeon who spent 24 years in theservice. With useful cross-references and examples of common usagethroughout, along with excellent illustrations by Tugg, the cartoonistfrom service newspaper Navy News, it is the essential book forcurrent and ex-Navy personnel and their families, or anyone interested in the modern armed forces.

Conway is proud to present a revised and updated edition of this classic volume, which is already acknowledged as the standard reference for every Jack, Jenny and Royal joining the Andrew, or for any civvy who wants a real insight into the unique culture of the Navy.

Spencekel

Good News, Welcome Back & BZ!

PS Those new to the Mob/RN/Pusser/Andrew can find comfort in translating our strange vocabulary with the help of 'Jackspeak' an invaluable 'dictionary' compiled by Commander Rick Jolly (RIP) a former RN Surgeon of note, particularly for his service throughout Operation Corporate aka the 1982 Falklands conflict.

At AMAZON Jackspeak: A guide to British Naval slang & usage Hardcover – Illustrated, 22 Feb. 2018​

by Rick Jolly (Author)
4.8 out of 5 stars 424 ratings
#1 Best Seller in Motor Boating & Cruising

Jackspeak is a comprehensive reference guide to the humorous and colourful slang of the Senior Service, explaining in layman's termsthe otherwise cryptic everyday language of the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines and the Fleet Air Arm. Featuring more than 4,000 alphabetical entries, it was compiled by an ex-RM surgeon who spent 24 years in theservice. With useful cross-references and examples of common usagethroughout, along with excellent illustrations by Tugg, the cartoonistfrom service newspaper Navy News, it is the essential book forcurrent and ex-Navy personnel and their families, or anyone interested in the modern armed forces.

Conway is proud to present a revised and updated edition of this classic volume, which is already acknowledged as the standard reference for every Jack, Jenny and Royal joining the Andrew, or for any civvy who wants a real insight into the unique culture of the Navy.
Why Thankyou!
Cheers for the recommendation, funnily enough, my other half currently works in the NHS like me and his colleagues bought him this book as a farewell present, so I’m learning bit by bit.
Everyday is a school day right?!

Waspie

War Hero
Rick Jolly was one of my Daughter-in-Laws uncle, he was a bit of a character to say the least!
I had the pleasure of having him as a course instructor when I did a couple of Air Med courses. He had a catch phrase he always used. "Mrs Jolly's Little Boy" followed by whatever he was going to say. Must have been something to do with the director of air medicine at Seafield Park. His predecessor was a Cdr Doc who drove a little three wheel Messerschmidt car with a huge wind up key stuck out the top!!!!

One of life real characters who once met never forgotten.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Thinking about joining RNP Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Dartmouth or RNP? Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R RNP. CPO or Master? The Gash Barge 25
Y RNP Aquaint - What to expect? Bases / Shore Est 23
MoD_RSS Cadet Force adult volunteer saves woman’s life thanks to army cadet first aid training MoD News 0
G Royal Navy Marine Engineer Professional Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS PHE launches new Psychological First Aid training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Expansion of prison kitchen training scheme to cut reoffending MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK Cyber Security Council to be official governing body on training and standards MoD News 0
R RFA training Bases / Shore Est 2
MoD_RSS Changes to the training you need for an SIA licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New kitchen and dining facility at Cameron Barracks enhances training experience for armed forces MoD News 0
R Observer Training Pipeline The Gash Barge 9
D WARFARE OFFICER TRAINING + CAREER PIPELINE (up to date, 2021) Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS New carbon efficient accommodation marks start of nationwide improvements on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baby red squirrels born on Ballykinler Training Area MoD News 0
B royal fleet auxiliary training Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS New NHS maternity leadership training to address Ockenden Review recommendations MoD News 0
IlikeB33r GYH(T) Capped at training establishments? Diamond Lil's 57
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
pompeyexpat Capita to run training Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS Letter from Amanda Spielman to the Secretary of State for Justice about Rainsbrook Secure Training Centre MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Written Ministerial Statement on Unconscious Bias Training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SIA suspends over 130 licences and seeks retraining after investigating training fraud MoD News 0
M Cold weather training? Sports and Adventure Training 20
A Terms at BRNC & Observer grading & training thereafter Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
RabC Training Places Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS British Embassy Costa Rica provides training for customs officials on UK-Central America Association Agreement MoD News 0
S Training Diary for appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Top award for regulator training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
P Pipeline Training RFA 1
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Training fund launched to help vets prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major expansion of post-18 education and training to level up and prepare workers for post-COVID economy MoD News 0
S RFA Training Pipeline RFA 11
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint approach to training gets international recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Troops reach training milestone ahead of UN Peacekeeping deployment to Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory tests and motorcycle training and tests to restart in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New teacher training inspections to focus on the ITE curriculum MoD News 0
Z Logistics Officer Training RFA 4