RNLI - why not have insurance?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by pluto, Dec 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering why people who set sail don't have insurance to cover their rescue, or is it the 'done thing' to bung the RNLI a brown paper envelope if they come to your rescue?
  2. People who do set sail, do have insurance - to cover the cost of the vessel and persons onboard if lost or damaged. The RNLI is a volunteer organisation and therefore does not get to benefit from the premiums from insurance.
  3. Plenty of recreational sailors contribute towards the RNLI, voluntarily, in the full recognition of the sacrifices that many lifeboatmen have made in the past.

A number of years ago I had a discussion on this subject with a RAF SAR pilot and yachtsman. He was convinced that all yotties should have an insurance policy that could be drawn upon in the event of a rescue. Another colleague, once Coxswain of the Oban lifeboat, was more than happy with the status quo.

When I go out in my small boat, I know that my life is in my hands, and I have no right to put another's life in danger. I also know that in the RNLI we have a service that we must cherish, least we loose it.
  4. You are so right fella, when i insured my boat, I enquired about emergency cover for things like the RNLI and the guy asked me if I thought i was that bad a sailor - git 28 years on her majesties and at least half of them on the bridge either navigating or raising eyebrows at the navs!! :wav:
  5. You being such a hero, Britbat, will obviously never get your sailing self into trouble.

Enlighten us as to just what is the equivalent Yank version of the RNLI.

6. And as for you, Pluto........
  7. Insurance companies have different policies especially for non commerical and vessels under a certain size.

I know insurance companies are now starting to switch on to the fact that not all small yachtsman use up to date paper charts or evne use them and rely purely on electronical navigational aids such as chart plotters. There has been a case I was informed about by the UKHO that an insurance company managed to retreive the charts of a sunken yacht by divers and the yacht owner didn't get a pay due to the accident being caused by out of date charts.

Being in the industry I've come across a few situations where yachtsmen have been caught out when their electronics have gone tits up in fog and they don't have up to date paper back up of any sort.

It's an arguement that has been going for ages. MCA have been umming and arrhhhing about making it a legal requirement for ages like it already is for vessels over a certain size/ commercial vessels that have to comply to SOLAS and MCA carriage requirements.

The RNLI is a valuable emergency service that shouldn't be lost. I also believe that people should be charged when being careless on the sea and the SAR/RNLI get called out because of it. That's my opinion though.
  8. You're setting a dangerous precedent, Tommo.
  9. Owners of pleasure craft are not required to have insurance .

They take out insurance if the berthing facilities insist on it and some of the sailing area's want to prove they have insurance for third party risks before being allowed to move--ie inland waterways and canals.

Regarding out of date charts and uses of Sat Nav etc . Its becoming
    more and more a Sat Nav orientated navigation and charts are becoming
    old hat in respect. Also a lot of light houses are becoming disused
    in coastal areas. Night time visual is a lot of guesswork.

The RNLI rescued me at one time along with the coast guard and the
    RN Helicopter guys.[and a Nimrod heheh!!]
    Was eternally grateful .

We boat owners do support the RNLI fully by donations but sometimes I think there should be a Government input into their funding as a
    back up -they do a very good job and a very hazardous one .

:nemo: :nemo:
  10. I can see the reasoning behind that. However; the problem with that lies in deciding when it's carelessness/negligence or just the sort of misfortune that can happen to anybody, no matter how well prepared they are.
  11. Paper charts will be round a long time yet. Especially while there is no official electronic charts available and whilst SOLAS and MCA carriage requirements still enforce them they reckon at least another 15 years or so yet!. :thumright: Especially as electronics are not 100% reliable!

The UKHO AVCS will be the first offical electronic chart service that is looking at being authorised by MCA and SOLAS.

As for the lighthouses. You be surprised how many are still in used. Having to work with charts day in and day out I amend and update them all the time and there are very few lights that have dissused written against them.

I supply both electronic and paper charts and publications all over the world to clients as well as give them Chart Maintenance Services.
  12. If they start picking on boat owners and demanding that those rescued pay for the lifeboat/helicopter , what will the guy out for a Sunday stroll in the hills have to pay when he takes a tumble and has to inconvenience the SAR people.
    Hell, no doubt when he sells his house to pay the bill he may have to sell his parents' house too!
    The fact he's been a taxpayer all his life might be taken into account, but I doubt it.
    Nah, only charge those buggers who've never had a job and have been on benefits. Only if they can get beyond the end of the bus route, though.
  13. I don't disagree with you. I more so talking about people who don't have a clue never done a course buy a boat and then get themselves in to trouble. As it does happen unfortunately.
  14. Ah, I see Tommo. Your credibility is now bust!
  15. Why's that?
  16. A further add on to my last posting

Owners of pleasure craft must have the relevant lifesaving equipment installed and all flares radio etc etc gear must be available onboard.

If it isn't -- and you have an emergency at sea the Marine Safety Organisation ??? Coast guard etc will find out during the inquiry .

Owner or skipper can be liable to criminal proceedings.

17. Is there a fair case for making leisure sailors take some form of test before they can take their boats out? The courses are all provided by the RYA for people to do, but I don't think there's any legal requirement for boat owners to prove any level of competence before hitting the high seas.
  18. As far as I'm aware there isn't a legal requirement fella. Although I'm standing by to be corrected. Unlike the commerical, vessels over a certain size, where crew are required to have their tickets.

In my personal opinion there should be a requirement that you can't just take a boat out and away you go with out doing relevant courses
  19. Lot of guys with boats of all shapes and sizes . Most of them are fairly responsible people and have had dealings with the sea in some ways
    or past history.
    Qualifications don't really mean much and to enforce it would be a
    lot of paperwork and manpower.

However the sea is a dangerous place ----am sure its trying to reclaim me
    from all my mishaps and close calls heheh ! You can be as experienced as
    a round the world sailor and still have accidents . Its being prepared for the unexpected and having the means to overcome and you can't teach that -
    Swamps and up to your arrse in alligators comes to mind !!

20. Take out insurance, jeez the people who get into trouble usually don't even have the bog standard safety gear.
    Here in NZ for instance we have Coastguards and my teeth grind a bit when reports come in of them having to go in to storms etc to save some numpty day fisherman in a swamped runabout dinghy with no life vests, flares or radio aboard. Usually they have their kids aboard and if anyone drowns it's odds on it'll be the nippers. 2 prosecutions for this in NZ recently.