RNLI providing foreign aid?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Sadly, it looks like the RNLI has scored another PR own goal, insofar as they have seemingly been sending a lot of cash to Third Words countries. All well and good if you are Oxfam, but NOT what I expect when I drop my cash into a RNLI collecting tin. I want and expect my cash to be used for the saving of lives around our coasts. It is bad enough that they are cutting back stations.

This comes after the debacle(s) recently where the HR/PR team were sacking crew members.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
They are now cutting around 120 from the Poole HQ, hopefully those that were responsible for the attacks on the crews at the front line will be among them.

slim

War Hero
The rNLI provide a sterling service.
However it is not a wise move to piss of donors by giving money away overseas.

Ballistic

War Hero
Sadly, it looks like the RNLI has scored another PR own goal, insofar as they have seemingly been sending a lot of cash to Third Words countries. All well and good if you are Oxfam, but NOT what I expect when I drop my cash into a RNLI collecting tin. I want and expect my cash to be used for the saving of lives around our coasts. It is bad enough that they are cutting back stations.

This comes after the debacle(s) recently where the HR/PR team were sacking crew members.

"In 2018 we spent £3.3M on international projects. At just 2% of the RNLI’s total spend, this covers everything from advocacy work at the United Nations to setting up training pools in Bangladesh. "

Well, that's easy.

Just pay the RNLI 2% less.

There ya go, job done. ;)

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

Lots of video on TV of the RNLI "rescuing" illegal immigrants. Surely the Government should be paying the RNLI for this work as it is the navy's task really ?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

Lots of video on TV of the RNLI "rescuing" illegal immigrants. Surely the Government should be paying the RNLI for this work as it is the navy's task really ?
More Border Force, which is part of the Home Office, no doubt with RN back up if required.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
janner RNLI Miscellaneous 0
janner New RNLI Series Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 18
soleil British Forces News: HMS Somerset Supports RNLI In Yacht Rescue The Fleet 0
L RNLI events 2011 Charity 0
Bond509 Thinking about joing the RNLI Charity 16
trelawney126 Busy Weekend for RNLI & SAR crews Dover Current Affairs 0
pluto RNLI - why not have insurance? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
Scouse_Scribes Government screwing the RNLI Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS Providing physical work packs for pupils with limited or no internet connection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to front line staff providing essential banking services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Voucher scheme launches for schools providing free school meals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online isolation notes launched - providing proof of coronavirus absence from work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A UK investment partnership is providing world-class health care in Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Providing a foundation for change in Turkmenistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review launched into statutory guidance for Local Authorities on providing youth services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New laws to guarantee payment for solar homes providing excess electricity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Richmond woman guilty of providing illegal advice. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Providing a service to Welsh speakers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Pinner woman sentenced for providing unlawful immigration advice. MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Path to Providing Self-Determination for the People of Western Sahara MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD boosts Government target for providing land for new housing MoD News 0
toycommandos Pusser is not providing The Corps 16
MoD_RSS Bus, plane… and horseback: How the Foreign Office helped a British traveller return home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus and regional security: UK statement on Foreign Ministers' meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 18 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on Hong Kong MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office charity marathon spans the globe in 24 hours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A message to Austria from Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on the 75th Anniversary of VE Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 7 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 5 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E3 and Netherlands Foreign Ministers Statement on World Press Freedom Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 29 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Saudi Arabia extends ceasefire in Yemen: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on Iran satellite launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 22 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hong Kong protests: Foreign Office statement, 18 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 16 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Anfal Memorial Day 2020: Foreign Office statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 13 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Syria OPCW report: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two-week ceasefire in Yemen: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 9 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 7 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office steps up plans to bring home Britons stranded overseas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Declaration by NATO Foreign Ministers on the coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary: NATO joint action can help to stop coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on North Korea missile test - 31 March 2020 MoD News 0