Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RNFT

Sea_Dodger said:
Lingyai said:
Should be, swimming would be much more relevant than running. The fitness test is a load of toss
Although if the lard ass could have run a bit faster to the section base to get some wedges for leak stopping no one would be swimming!

Or you could use said lard ass to plug hole.

BeerBad said:
Sea_Dodger said:
Lingyai said:
Should be, swimming would be much more relevant than running. The fitness test is a load of toss
Although if the lard ass could have run a bit faster to the section base to get some wedges for leak stopping no one would be swimming!

Or you could use said lard ass to plug hole.
Good point, well presented, could always float around on lard as well, no need to swim at all, I retract my statement :D

Swimming test has just got even easier by the way.
Now you jump in, stay afloat for 2 minutes, then swim 40m, then climb out unaided.
(As opposed to jumping in, swimming 40m, 3mins afloat then getting out.)

What happened to diving down to retrieve the brick from the bottom of the pool then?

Crikey - you have one week on holiday and all hell breaks loose!

This has been fun - hadn't reliased what a hornets nest I had started up.

I love Rum Ration!!

Jim30 said:
What a totally pointless idea to FAIL them.

Its not like RNR can just go home and then back to work - many people have taken annual leave to do courses and to then RTU them is causing a lot more hassle - especially when blogs then asks to go again later in the year. While I agree they should pass it, what would be better would be for failed RNFT's to be told that they cant do fleet board till they've done it. Motivation and training at the same time.

Was this a BRNC idea or a COMMARRES idea?

Have to say I'm in favour of a consistent policy - if ratings get RTUd for failing, so should officers. End of chat really.

We could say "you've failed the fitness test but can continue on the course, although you will not pass the course until you have completed the RNFT".

If this means going back to unit at the end and completing the RNFT within a certain period then so be it, but no benefit or privilegdges should be enjoyed by those who have failed their fitness test until they do so.

Whether there are H&S implications for being unfit while on a physically intensive course I don't know.

One alternative is that the attendee sucessfully passes the RNFT two weeks and four weeks prior to joining course.

"Raleigh can't get you fit, you have to be fit for Raleigh"

"We could say "you've failed the fitness test but can continue on the course, although you will not pass the course until you have completed the RNFT"

That was exactly my point.

Jim30 said:
"We could say "you've failed the fitness test but can continue on the course, although you will not pass the course until you have completed the RNFT"

That was exactly my point.

Yeh I know - I was agreeing with you, just not very clearly. (Comes of having very little sleep this past week (Benicassim music festival in Spain - what a session!!))

I would go further though and say that privilidge / benefits and even training are withheld until it is passed and not just Fleet board. This could include future ORT/courses/jollies etc.

Our XO/RNSO suggests that the key to getting and staying fit is little and often. Can't agree with him more.

Lets not forget though, that the people we have been criticising are also our ship mates and we should be encouraging them to start getting fit.

At the risk of flagrant advertising (I have no association with this group at all), there is a group of former military trained fitness instructors operating throughout the UK using their military phizz training to help people get and stay fit. http://www.britmilfit.com/ I would have joined them myself but President got their own former tootie-fruity-booty to be a PTI hence I've not needed to. They give members of the RNR the corporate cheap rate. Its based on your current fitness levels and by all accounts they use the usual military training techniques, teamwork, motivation and fun - gawd I do sound like an advert.

Latest Threads