RNFT run

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TeddyT, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am due to start BRNC in a couple of weeks, and am busy getting ready and fit. My shins are starting to play up a little, so rather than ragging them running up and down hills I have stopped running until I get there. This doesn't help with the prep for the 2.4k run. Can anyone adivse me on how far I should be rowing (on a gym ergometer) in the time limit to equate, all beit roughly, to the 2400m run? So far I am working it out as about 3000m in 11 min, but if there are any PTIs, or other knowing bodies, that could give me a more definite distance/time combination I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance....

2. Do you mean like to take place of the running how far on the rowing you should do? If it was me I would do double and go doing a fast walk instead of running the 2.4km, so much for myself having bought some trainers off the internet to find they easily fall to bits (fakes) and they have left my shins pretty hurt

3. It is so I can assess my pace, and so know where I stand on the 2.4k. Of course this is only a small part of my fitness preparation, but would be good to know if I am way off the pace or am doing ok.

4. i would have your shins looked at mate. i was like you with my shins playing up but i ignored the pain and then developed bad shin splints witch stopped me joining and then had to wait for a new date.

5. I'm no PTI (not by a long stretch, don't have the hair gel skills), but I'd say just take it easy on your shins for a while, keep going with the bike/rower/etc to keep your cardio vascular fitness going. A week or so on low impact stuff will do you a world of good and hopefully prevent you developing full blown shin splints.

6. Shin splints hold you back a lot, there was a lad in my entry who developed them in about week 6 of phase 1 and got back classed to the week 2's after repeatedly failing the PTa - he passed out in the end but he was walking around the establishment like he had a broom handle up his arse for a fortnight ... best of luck shipmate. :thumright:

It wouldnt hurt to have your legs looked at by a doc before entry though

7. Go for a cross-trainer instead - anything which is "low impact", ie not landing on your leg. Then your run target should be the same.

8. Im sure you wont be as unlucky as me and have a million things that might go against you to get in the Royal Navy... so im sure you will be ok, good luck mate

9. Mate when I had shin splints my GP advised I get one of those mini trampolene things. I looked like something off of "Aerobics, Oz Style" whilst jogging on the spot on it, but it calmed my shin splints down a tad.

10. I think with me its my route I go running, Its road, then fields, then disabandened railway tracks which are all bumpy and got knows what shapes and then fields and road again, today Im thinking of going on 2 runs would it help me get fitter or would there be no point do you think?

11. I'm not a medical person, but I think that shin splints are an impact related injury. I think two factors that aggrovated my splints were the fact that I bought a cheap pair of running shoes, and because I'm such a big heavy bastard! Basically anything that is going to lessen the impact, or remove it all together, is going to help. Cycling, swimming, cross-trainer are all good ways of maintaining your fitness without having to do any running. Why not try that for a few weeks and then go for a short run and see how you get on?
    With regards to running shoes, I got hold of a copy of "Todays Runner" or "Runners World" magazines. (you can sometimes find old copies of them hanging around a local gym). The magazines are filled with adverts of shops selling running shoes at discount prices. Go for last year's model and you can usually get quite a bargain. Expect to pay around £40-£50 for a decent pair. Believe me it'll be worth it. They can go up to around £80-£100 for a pair, but personally I think that's a little OTT. Not teaching you to suck eggs here matey, but when buying a pair of running shoes get a pair that are a half size bigger than your normal shoe. (i.e. if you normally take a size 10 shoe then get size 10.5 running shoes). I always find it hard to get shoes in half sizes at these big retail sports shops like JJB sports, Nike etc. I always get them from running magazines.
    Hope this helps anyway, and like I said, apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

12. Just to add to Tall_Bloke's post above, if your short on cash I can recommend TK Max as worth a visit. Take your time there, look round and amongst all the crap there are some good deals to be had. Got myself a perfect fitting pair of Reebok running shoes. Only realised how good they were when I started running in Reebok classics a couple of months ago and ended up with agonizing shin pain. Switched back to the <£30 running shoes and I was fine in a fortnight.

Moral of the story, look after your feet!

13. Our lifestyle dictates that most of us spend a lot of time on our feet, and we all enjoy an active lifestyle. With this is mind it is common sense that we all need to look after our legs. Shoes designed for running really should be the only things that cross our minds when we want to go for a run. If you want to go rock climbing you (hopefully) will not use the rope from your garden centre or the carabinas from your local market; this should be the same logic for our running shoes. So I whole heartedly agree with the above posts.

To answer another question above running twice a day may improve your fitness, but it really is very dependant on how you exercise on these runs. There are many different ways you should be running/jogging for a well rounded program. Furthe advise should proberbly be sought on a separate thread...

But to get back to the point - what is a good distance/time combination on a rowing ergometer to give an indication on my performance running over 2.4k. A replacement if you will....