RNAS Yeovilton - Draft

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Hegs44, Feb 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    My son is just about to complete his Phase 2 AET at Sultan and has been drafted to Yeovilton for phase 3. I'm not familiar with the area and was wondering how it was for visiting etc etc.
  2. Its in the middle of nowhere, nearest town/village is Ilchester, has a few pubs and a hotel (Northover Manor), Yeovil is about 8 miles away and has loads of pubs and hotels/guest houses.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. First may I point out that the RN unlike the army do not get posted, they get Drafted so therefore your son has a DRAFT to Yeovilton. Don't worry about it though as it is a common mistake and you will soon get used to the term.
    Yeovil is fairly easy to access as it is just off the A303 see:
    https:[email protected],-2.6419149,13z

When I was there if anyone had family they were allowed to sign them into the establishment after completion of work and at weekends, this was over 30 years ago but I reckon that it will still be done.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sorted the title ta.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Try not to go on a weekend, it'll be shut.
  6. I'd like to point out that you do not get drafted anymore. You now get Assigned by the issue of an assignment order.
  7. Does that mean instead of getting Drafted (Shafted) by Drafty, you get Assed (up the) by Assy?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I have just remembered, they did have a families room you could book.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Are officers still Appointed?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. stay at the Ilchester Arms, it's 5 minutes down the road from the base by car, a lot of families of serving personnel stay there when visiting.
    • Like Like x 1