Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RNAS Prestwick Gym

Mrecho84

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone know if RNAS Prestwick has gym facilities and are they available to RFA personnel? To be honest I'm not sure how much is left after HMS Gannet shut down.

Thanks in advance.

chockhead819

War Hero
There are no facilities available to as the Accom site was shut down years ago & the helicopter base is run by civvys, its only the aircrew that are military.

There are no facilities available to as the Accom site was shut down years ago & the helicopter base is run by civvys, its only the aircrew that are military.

Hi Forum members, just registered on the site today and came across this quote! My wife and I met in the PO,s mess there in 1977 having joined within 3 days of each other, we are still married with three grown up children and a recently arrived granddaughter. We went to Troon recently more by accident than plan and thought we would pop round to see the old Gannet, we were surprised to see the place all boarded up as we have seen the SAR on TV many times! further to that the hotel along the road and the Wheatsheaf in Monkton are both closed. I visited the site in 1991 as a contractor and new acccomodation had been built to the detriment of the old Nissen huts. When did it close?

Waspie

War Hero
As a note, when there WAS a gym at Gannet the deck was bloody lethal. Any moisture and you went arse over tit!!!

Waspie

War Hero
Never thought the Wheatsheaf would close. Wasn't the hotel the Monkton Hotel??? Been many years since I was up that way. I was living in Killy, New Farm Loch estate - somewhat different!!!!!

MadSeasider

Midshipman
"The club" at the auchengate families accommodation was consistently awesome.

Totally agree about the Dundonald Club. Many a great night night while living at Auchengate, that was back in the early 80's before the quarters were refurbished. I think there was about 10 - 12 quarters actually habitable, but it was still a better option than NFL.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Waspie

War Hero
New Farm is a ghetto. I'm surprised you survived.

Let's just say it was an experience. I suffered it twice. (Two tours on 819).

On the plus side, it was always better than Onthank, if that's how you spell it!!! Now that was a ghetto, even had it's own slot on tv at one point.

SNLR

Midshipman
Mrecho, you are sadly being misinformed. There is a good well equipped gym at RNAS Prestwick and a look at the XOtem suggests that there are a number of ways in which you qualify to use it. Only snag will be getting the club swinger down from Fas to do the H&S induction. Suggest you give the Lwtr a call.

Rgds

SNLR

until 2015 at least

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: Lt Cdr Andrew ‘Tank’ Murray Clocks In Excess Of A Year – A Staggering 8,760 Hours - In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 31
MoD_RSS DIO completes essential improvements at RNAS Yeovilton MoD News 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Make Thousands Of PPE Face Masks For Care Workers" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
soleil FB: SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity - With Love From RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Forces Network: "RNAS Culdrose Leads Royal Navy Drone Research" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose "The Game On Every (Naval) Aviator’s Christmas List." The Fleet Air Arm 17
W RNAS Ford in 1957 The Fleet Air Arm 0
J POV RNAS Yeovilton Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Sea Hawk crash RNAS Ford The Fleet Air Arm 11
Walter_white RNAS Yeovilton and RNAS culdrose Summer leave Bases / Shore Est 1
F WW1 RNAS/RAF Station History 5
MoD_RSS News story: DIO showcases infrastructure progress at RNAS Yeovilton MoD News 0
H RNAS Yeovilton - Draft Bases / Shore Est 9
MoD_RSS News story: Army Air Corps praise new facilities at RNAS Yeovilton MoD News 0
dustyjack Around 120 RNAS Yeovilton jobs to move Current Affairs 3
Seaweed HMS Owl / RNAS Fearn History 1
F RNAS Yeovilton work experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day - Saturday, 26th July 2014 The Fleet Air Arm 34
soleil West Briton: "RNAS Culdrose Sailors Thank Shoppers For RNRMC Donations" The Fleet Air Arm 0
R RNAS FORD (HMS Peregrine) The Quarterdeck 20
soleil Somerset County Gazette: "The High Risks Of Low Flying At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Handler RNAS Yeovilton 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil RNAS Culdrose Air Day 2013 - Wednesday, 24th July 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 17
J PO Alwyn Rob Roberts FAA RNAS Yeovilton Nearest & Dearest 11
soleil WM News: "Wren's Tale Of Courage And Devotion To Duty Honoured At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day July 13th 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 22
soleil "Navy's First Female Senior Observer Reaches Another Milestone At RNAS Culdrose" The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil Western Daily Press: "Veteran Wessex Helicopter Returns Home To RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 33
MoD_RSS RNAS Culdrose team deploys on counter-piracy operation Current Affairs 2
soleil RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2012 - Saturday, 23 June 2012 The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil Western Daily Press: "Insight Into Falklands War Father's World At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil The One Show, Live From RNAS Culdrose - Friday, May 18th 2012 - 1900-2000 The Fleet Air Arm 29
MoD_RSS RNAS Culdrose to welcome Olympic Flame into UK Current Affairs 0
B RNAS Culdrose SCC and URNU 0
soleil Yeovil Express: "Beards Galore At RNAS Yeovilton...Well Nearly!" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Yeovil Express: "Archbishop Of Canterbury At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil BBC: "RNAS Yeovilton's 'Love' For Outgoing Sea Kings" The Fleet Air Arm 12
MoD_RSS Junior Ratings move into their new home at RNAS Culdrose Current Affairs 12
soleil BBC Somerset: "RNAS Yeovilton In Somerset Gets New Commanding Officer" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Open Evening TODAY At RNAS Merryfield The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC Cornwall: "RNAS Culdrose Merlin Helicopters On NATO Exercise" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Waspie RNAS Portland - April 2011 The Fleet Air Arm 5
Patrick Travel to HMS Seahawk (RNAS Culdrose) Diamond Lil's 6
soleil RNAS Culdrose On Course To Meet PM's Energy-Saving Challenge The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BBC: "RNAS Culdrose Rescue Helicopter Airlifts Fisherman" The Fleet Air Arm 0
J Donibristle RNAS pics [ sorry cross-posted in shore bases ] History 1
J Donibristle RNAS pics Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Falmouth Packet: "RNAS Culdrose Officer awarded rare clasp" The Fleet Air Arm 6