RNAS Locations

Matelo99, You will find RNAS twatt has long since gone.It opened in 1941, closed 1946, and the naval code name was hmsTern. It was in Scottish Orkney.
Foxtrot, Dont think of joining the Fleet Air Arm as a pilot, mechanic or anything in between. just sum up the facts, only two airfields, Culdrose mainly anti submarine warfare,not much future there,Merlin helo a load of crap and too expensive to keep flying. A handfull of hawks, flown and maintained by civilians, a SAR unit threatend with closure and a few sailor training outfits. Not very exciting and im suprised its still on the books. Yeovilton, All the Harriers are now with the Air Force, Comanando Sqdns doing an excellent job but with ageing Seakings, it will not be too long before Yeovilton will be just a museam. There are no air billets after reaching the rank of commander, youre made to leave aviation and go pouncing around driving ships, not good if you are air minded. I foresee that the FAA will not be in existence very much longer

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
All the Harriers are now with the Air Force

No they're not.

I foresee that the FAA will not be in existence very much longer

If the FAA maintains that sort of attitude, then you may be right. However, in this Crustacean's opinion, the UK needs a Naval Air Arm just as much as it needs an independent Air Force. Long live the FAA.

the_chisler

Badgeman
foxtrot said:
Ah,

The impression that im getting from forums is that the RAF are on the edge of their seats waiting for the government to axe certain air stations and aircraft. I wondered if the RNAS's were having similar expectation although they only have a few air stations?
:?:

Wrt the potential closure of RNAS Airstations, the general rule of thumb is if there is a explosion in new build on the base (new messes, Ward room, main gate....that sort of thing) they are on short finals to shut you down. Just like thay did at OSPREY (Portland) a mere stones throw from a fantastic dockyard and exercise area. Which was closed due to it............being too convenient I think. To get back on track there doesn't seem to be any new build at VL.....apart from SLAM......oh my God they're gonna close YEOVILTON!!

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
Added to that at Culdrose the WO+SNR`s mess condemned and the Wardroom in not much better a state, with the IPT`s based in the Yeovilton area. Its a certainty if one is to go it will be Yeov`s.

Tip for seniors book yourself a course at Culdrose at the moment live in a nice hotel rather than the the Mess(aptly named) and miss the experience that is PAYD.

jungle_jim

Lantern Swinger
i honestly cannot see them closing any more air stations. (i have said it now!) we are strugling for space at VL, if for some bizzare chance no one was deployed we would never fit all the cabs in their hangars. i cannot comment on CD but i guess its pretty much the same there.

jungle_ jim wrote.
i honestly cannot see them closing any more air stations. (i have said it now!) we are strugling for space at VL, if for some bizzare chance no one was deployed we would never fit all the cabs in their hangars. i cannot comment on CD but i guess its pretty much the same there.

I dont think so, I pass CD four times a day and I am absolutly amazed by the lack of airiel activity, between severn and nine in the morning there must be thousands of personel entering the airfield (civilian and military) then nothing, one would think a senior air officer would have a stroll onto the airfield and see what was being acheived in flying trainning. Im not making excuses for them but the Merlin cant fly because pusser can not afford the spares. If the FAA had only gone for a good quality utility helo we as a service (the FAA) could be doing our part helping the army out in the middle east. I think once senior civil servants get wind of whats happening at Culdrose its days will ba numbered.

empty_vessel

Midshipman
huffnut_cringe said:
jungle_ jim wrote.

I dont think so, I pass CD four times a day and I am absolutly amazed by the lack of airiel activity, between severn and nine in the morning there must be thousands of personel entering the airfield (civilian and military) then nothing, one would think a senior air officer would have a stroll onto the airfield and see what was being acheived in flying trainning. Im not making excuses for them but the Merlin cant fly because pusser can not afford the spares. If the FAA had only gone for a good quality utility helo we as a service (the FAA) could be doing our part helping the army out in the middle east. I think once senior civil servants get wind of whats happening at Culdrose its days will ba numbered.

The Merlin was never procured as a good quality utility helo, it was a risky, high tech ASW helo and by all accounts the mission system is second to none. The lack of activity at CU is strange but the fact that the Merlin has poor serviceability cannot really be blamed, CU also have Hawks and Mk5 Sea Kings. Spares are not a matter of affordability, but rather the political nature of the supply pipeline i.e. Agusta and their Italian manufacturing facilities. Someone does need to get a grip of the spares situation but its not a case of chucking good money after the bad, but making sure we have a robust and sustainable system for providing spares to the Squadrons. All I can hope is that the US Presidential Merlins provide economies of scale that we can benefit from!

I can't see anyone wanting to take on the vital role that the FAA performs, let alone to be able to perform as well as we do day in, day out. The future is bright.

So basically you are saying that with the order of new Aircraft Carriers we will lose the Fleet Air Arm?

If it means that Navy pilots become like the Crabs then thats the last thing they need, and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it a Crab pilot that refused to give air support to troops on the ground in Afghanistan because it was "too risky"?

And in regards to the baffling on about spares, if the government gave the Royal Navy the cash it needs to do its job properly they wouldn't have such issues, but that is for another thread.

boredwafu

Lantern Swinger
huffnut_cringe said:
Matelo99, You will find RNAS twatt has long since gone.It opened in 1941, closed 1946, and the naval code name was hmsTern. It was in Scottish Orkney.
Foxtrot, Dont think of joining the Fleet Air Arm as a pilot, mechanic or anything in between. just sum up the facts, only two airfields, Culdrose mainly anti submarine warfare,not much future there,Merlin helo a load of crap and too expensive to keep flying. A handfull of hawks, flown and maintained by civilians, a SAR unit threatend with closure and a few sailor training outfits. Not very exciting and im suprised its still on the books. Yeovilton, All the Harriers are now with the Air Force, Comanando Sqdns doing an excellent job but with ageing Seakings, it will not be too long before Yeovilton will be just a museam. There are no air billets after reaching the rank of commander, youre made to leave aviation and go pouncing around driving ships, not good if you are air minded. I foresee that the FAA will not be in existence very much longer

Hmmm, bollocks. Culdrose, home of ASW and ASaC, with Merlin Mk2 (or whatever the update is being called) dragging the big grey beast into the littoral environment with bells on. SeaKing ASaC - most modern sensor suite fitted to a helicopter anywhere, particulary diverse roles now (land, littoral, amphib, blue water, CAS etc), SAR community still running, Basic Observer Course about to get a major facelift (King Air 350s), Multi engine pilot training RN/RAF to Culdrose - Not very exciting??!! I think the opposite.

Harrier pukes are still formed as a Naval Air Squadron, co-located with the RAF, still with their own identity.

Officer career path opened up with introduction of FTC(A), Commanders in command, and with the roles of the modern Navy an extremely diverse aviation career is waiting.

Just a small glimpse of the modern FAA, not likely to close anytime soon. I stand by my opening staement of bollocks

NoFaultFound

Badgeman
"Harrier pukes are still formed as a Naval Air Squadron, co-located with the RAF, still with their own identity."

Whilst I agree with most off your points BW I have to say that the Harrier comment is somewhat wide of the mark. We have no dedicated RN Harrier squadrons, what we have have is a bodged outfit called Naval Strike Wing which I am sure the crabs have got one eye on subsuming into 1 and 4 Squadrons. The RN doesn't own the aircraft and whilst the NSW are doing a fine job of keeping the Fleet Air Arm alive at Cottesmore I fear they are fighting a losing battle against a well organised political beast that is the RAF.