RNAS Harrier T4 accident (XW268) 27 June 94 @ RNAS Yeovilton

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by thingy, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if the report or a summary is available for public inspection, as this was presumably a military AAIB investigation?

I understand that XW268 is undergoing restoration..... :)
  2. Re: RNAS Harrier T4 accident (XW268) 27 June 94 @ RNAS Yeovi

Can't say I have ever seen the result of a military flying accident if it didn't involve civvy agencies or people.

I imagine the investigation would be kept in house. But wouldn't put money on that statement. :?
  3. Was this the accident where both crew members were killed? I believe the backseater was a CPO. and the accident may have been caused by pilot error.
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Nope, Steve Brooks (a friend of mine) was killed in 1996: BBC News link Lt Cdr Auckland was initially said to be at fault by the BOI but as you'll see in the link this was later reduced as the MoD agreed it was not all his fault and a 50/50 liability was agreed and damages paid to his family. A lot went on that day, pressure to fly probably overtook his good sense given the conditions and limitations on the aircraft.

I have a vague memory of what happened to this T4, I seem to remember its main leg sheared off on landing at yeovilton.