RNAC best mess

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by alexissonice, Apr 5, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1396683284.186338.jpg

...two nights in a row. Not a bad start! If ya heading there soon, gimme a shout for some tips to get your mess on tip top form.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I like threads like this.

For the moment, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ....bearing in mind I'm no expert at all but here's what I learnt from my experience recently at the RNAC.

Hoover hallways and dorm twice before rounds. Once before bed and again in the morning to touch up and wake up/piss off any other sleepy heads left dozing in your mess.

Get up at 5.45 shower into your kit and start making your bed at 6. Hospital corners (they will demonstrate this) on all four corners and make sure they sit quite deep so the fold is prominant. The RNAC staff are looking for tightness in the sheets so get under the bed and pull the sheets and duvet like hell to get rid of all the creases. The duvet should sit a4 width from the top of the bed where the sheet is exposed (again get it really tight!!) and tucked in under the matress really tight like the sheet. Remove all dust or fluff from the duvet/sheet and place the pillow (folding any excess material in on itself) and place it on the end of the bed making sure the corners point out and generally looking really uniform. Also make sure that nothing underneath the bed (excess bits of sheet) are hanging down. It should lay across the bottom of the mattress and on top of the wires of the bed.

In the bathrooms they are not looking for cleanliness particularly at this stage (however don't leave a massive turd in the can like one guy did in the other messes) but they are looking for uniformity. Makes sure each member of the mess has a towel on display in the dry room and that they are folded to the same size and hanging up (again uniformity). The toilet rolls (there were three in ours) are stacked on top of the heads in a pyramid formation and make sure that matches all the other heads. Again make sure all the toilet brushs are pointing in the same direction and that all the toilet paper on all the roles are cornered to a point (it's a nice touch and can be the difference between winning and losing!) . Ensure the sinks are free of water and the plugs are placed in the same positions on all the sinks. Also Make sure there is nothing left in the showers (no toiletries). Leave all the windows open.

In the rooms also leave the windows open , all the curtains in all if the rooms to be drawn in the same direction and that all the net curtains are folded up over the top in the same way over all the rooms. UNIFORMITY!

They will explain how to position your shirt and trousers on the bed but make sure the collar is over the A4 mark and stands alone if that makes sense? So there is no part if the shirt underneath it. (They will point that out). Also to tuck in any excess bits so it's a near and tidy a4 shape.

They will notice the little things...and they are particularly looking for a group effort. Help the weaker ones in your mess and inspect all of the beds. If your freaking out about all the details, you are doing it right! The staff are quality and help you if you go wrong but will have a go if it's clear your mess made no effort at all.

4. OMM

OMM War Hero

Done pre-joining course, thinks he's an expert on clean ship.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. Quote "I'm no expert at all [...]"

Expert on clean ship but can't pissing read

6. OMM

OMM War Hero

Haha, calm down precious.

You'll fit in lovely....

7. Whats the problem? Its a useful post for PRNC, he is not claiming to be superhero of Raleigh or the RN. That post is already taken by you I presume...

• Like Like x 1
  8. OMM

OMM War Hero

It's cringeworthy to say the least.

9. Why is it cringeworthy? You posted about the PRNC once you had been advising others.

10. Additional: give as much banter as you can take as everyone will rip the sh*t out of everyone (esp the staff) It's a proper laugh the naval sense of humour I've recently discovered. PC goes out the window...

11. OMM

OMM War Hero

Not on how to clean!

Save it for Raleigh, yea they will love the attention to detail there and you will get praise for it but at RNAC just get to grips with the lifestyle rather than going balls out cleaning.

12. A good point and it's true. They are just looking for effort at the PRNC and there is no pressure pass/fail element. It is just a insight inTo life at Raleigh. Just thought I'd give people about to go there a heads up on how to get best mess, as some of the guys struggled with getting it right at our course and spent all evening re scrubbing and cleaning up the classroom after a long day while our mess got the night off.

13. No harm in it, why not aim high it's only a few days after all. Balls out cleaning sounds fun, what do the women have to get out?

• Like Like x 1
  14. OMM

OMM War Hero

They gave you rescrubs at PRNC, oh dear. People will always struggle with it. People struggled all the way through Raleigh and even now in phase 2 we still have people failing clean ship. The tips are good for whilst in training but for those who are attending PRNC don't go out if your way to clean the place. Just take as much as you can from the course.

I was actually speaking to some of the PRNC guys last week in the gym after you were all dripping about the circuit you did haha.

15. OMM

OMM War Hero

Tits out cleaning is the equivalent.

But most wrens have bigger balls anyway.

16. HA! That circuit was brutal! No fainters or spewers this time round tho, which was a relief!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Just to add, whilst there is no pass/fail element to this particular element of PRNC, a comparatively large number of people fail the 1.5 mile run or 50 metre swim & lose their entry place.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Interesting. There can't be too many females who joined the WRNS still serving, I'd have thought.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OMM

OMM War Hero

You know what I meant, grandad.

20. He's not your Grandad. That would imply some kind of lineage and there's no way it's possible to narrow down who your father might be, let alone your grandfather.

Now trot off to the gashbarge and gob off in there, that's where all the other no-badge **** alls hang out.

• Like Like x 2