RN wins Battle Of Britain ? ? ?

imom1406

War Hero
I note that the "few" are busy sending "Mr Angry" letters to the Daily Mail...It's the only seriously big thing the crabs can boast about.....lets see....Spanish Armada, Trafalgar, Nile, Finesterre, Jutland (technically a win), North Sea, blah blah blah etc. etc......so you can understand crabs getting a little tetchy when their great acheivment has to be shared with the senior service.

[stands back and waits for incoming]

Captain Coward of HMS Brilliant (god bless him) once said to our tame crab who was with us on a jolly..."RAF tradition?!?! your service hasn't been around long enough to have traditions....bad habits maybe....but traditions!!"
 

RoofRat

War Hero
Love it, love it. :lol: :D
I live in a village that has a lot of ex Crabs, due to the fact we used to have a RAF airfield here. We are all good mates but we do like to banter. Thanks for the Ammo guys, particularly the the Traditions Imom.That has just got to be used.
:lol:
RoofRat
 
I think the article is technically correct, but Hilter could not launch Sealion until he had air superiority. Of course there were many ships in the channel at the time but they were not needed because of the air force - gauls me to say so as a girl whose father was on the Russian Convoys! But why do these recidivist historians feel the need to denegrate these old men who fought with honour and bravery over 60 years ago, how does it change our view of history - not a jot.
 

imom1406

War Hero
rosinacarley said:
I think the article is technically correct, but Hilter could not launch Sealion until he had air superiority. Of course there were many ships in the channel at the time but they were not needed because of the air force - gauls me to say so as a girl whose father was on the Russian Convoys! But why do these recidivist historians feel the need to denegrate these old men who fought with honour and bravery over 60 years ago, how does it change our view of history - not a jot.

The RAF did an amazing job, and deserve the plaudits for wha they did, incredibly brave men.....However (didn't you hear that coming) ....we only re-visit history to re-align the truth, don't forget that History is usually written by the victors and it is important to understand the truth...

Things like it has only been in recent years that the received wisdom of the USA UK and other empire allies won the war and we didn't (for political reasons) really acknowledge the contribution the Russians made..

The truth behind Bletchly park has led us to re-write a lot of history....we also like to hide our shame .......look how we got Hong Kong from the chinese..


As long as the evidence stacks up, io am all for re-riting history!
 
imom1406 said:
....we only re-visit history to re-align the truth, don't forget that History is usually written by the victors and it is important to understand the truth...

As long as the evidence stacks up, io am all for re-riting history!

But do you believe the evidence does stack up, I don't.

Have you ever read those two books 'What if...' and 'More What if'...' Is is counterfactual history? They certainly make you think.
 

imom1406

War Hero
rosinacarley said:
imom1406 said:
....we only re-visit history to re-align the truth, don't forget that History is usually written by the victors and it is important to understand the truth...

As long as the evidence stacks up, io am all for re-riting history!

But do you believe the evidence does stack up, I don't.

Have you ever read those two books 'What if...' and 'More What if'...' Is is counterfactual history? They certainly make you think.

I haven't read the detail, but i have no reason to doubt that FM Jodel believed that even if he got Air superiority, his invasion barges would be turned into "Mincemeat" by the RN, we had vast quantities of minesweepers at the time counteracting the efforts of the German Navy to pin larger ships into port or out of the way (this strategy failed), the Luftwaffe also had a drastic shortage of armour pierceing bombs which could seriously damage our battleships.

I think the article written was more about stemming the invasion rather than what has become the battle of britain.

It is still fun to wind up the crabs though!
 
That is more like it! Did you see that U-571 (I think it was called) about the first enigma machine captured? And at the end was a little acknowledgement that HMS BULLDOG actually did the deed rather than the Yanks. And I believe they are remaking The Dambusters with some Americans in the Sqn! Dear old Guy must be spinning in his grave!
 

mad_collie

Midshipman
rosinacarley said:
That is more like it! Did you see that U-571 (I think it was called) about the first enigma machine captured? And at the end was a little acknowledgement that HMS BULLDOG actually did the deed rather than the Yanks. And I believe they are remaking The Dambusters with some Americans in the Sqn! Dear old Guy must be spinning in his grave!

They are, apparently they wont be calling the labrador nigger either. More re-writing of historical facts . . .
 

imom1406

War Hero
That is Hollywood, not historians....they live in a completely different world...trust me!!

We had the Enigma machines before they joined the fray!

Coutesy of Wikepedia!

Bletchley Park made no useful headway into Kriegsmarine Enigma until mid-1940 with the capture of the armed trawler, Polares. The latter yielded enough intact cryptographic material that by June or July 1940, .
 
I think it is fine if you are a bit of a history buff like we clearly are, but it is difficult for some people to separate history and hollywood.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top