RN visit to Waterford Ireland Today

Discussion in 'History' started by 4to8, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is the first time to my knowledge the there has been a RN visit to this port for generations and it must be a historic moment to see the Union Flag flown in Waterford since God knows when.I have posted photies of Mersey and Severn at:
    http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/hairoil/RN at Waterford/

I will try to blag my way on board later [effing security]and get some better piccies,meanwhile if anyone wants the full sized ones that I have,or if you want a special one taken mail me laccobius24 "at" iol.ie
    I was MN but I wont hold that over you lot.
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This has stirred a curious and maybe mistaken memory that the last RN visit there was in 1965 and the welcome included a few rounds from a Bren gun.
  3. I was in Singers then but I think you may be correct,I will check with the natives here later,I seem to recall hearing of an incident now that you mention it.
    I sincerely hope that folks are more grown up around here now. In a proper world I should be able to take some of the gang from both ships for a pint or 2 and get the lamps swinging,we can live in hope.
  4. Lovely part of the world but have we any war canoes other than 'university' patrol boats that can get that far up the river these days? the old 'ton' sweepers could have but.........
  5. I went to Waterford in 2002 on board HMS Anglesey whilst on fish patrol

It was a martime festival had an awesome time there.

So that was definetly not the first time in generations lol
  6. That must have been for the tall ships race,but I have no recollection of Anglesey.I have lots of photies of that event but not a sign of her,pity

the incident to which Seaweed refers is remembered by some of the folks that I asked and its a good 'un.Seems that some shots were fired from an old Lee Enfield 303 by ,get this, an effing French git who still lives around here.he is one of a Breton family.
    Now about that time Nelson's Pillar in Dublin was blown up and the story there was that the job was done by a French demolition expert,the IRA gang being too thick at the time.Another few reasons why England should kick the shit out of them in the Rugby later.
  7. And they just have kicked their rear ends. Left it a bit late but nicely done nonetheless.

I was brought up about 20 miles from Waterford. Always thought it was a bit of a dirty town. Very jealous of this lot though as I would like to sail in on a war canoe just to show off to my family.

8. I went to waterford in 1999 on a P2000 - so I'm afraid you weren't the first!
  9. No it wasn't a tall ships race. It was Waterfords Martime Festival. I was there on the HMS Anglesey FPV, there was also Spanish Naval Ship (can't remember what) Also the old HMS Hecla iirc the former survey Ship after she was sold was there.

We were there for about 3- 4 Days before heading back out on West Patrol
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

In 1963 I met three officers of the Irish Navy on a Ship Husbandry course at Sultan. One of them had a powerboat which he entered for the annual powerboat race on the Shannon. An oil company backed this by providing the fuel. He got a letter asking him what grade of fuel he needed?

Answer: Anthracite.

It was a coal-burner.
  11. I vaguely remember that incident was a Brave Class MTB going up to Dublin on the Liffy 65/66 time.

PS you were correct Waterford

Bren Gun

13. Yes - see http://www.flickr.com/photos/joecashin/1558038199/in/set-1472454/

This is what the original poster referred to - another link about the URNU vessels was a different visit.

Severn & Mersey are rather bigger than Tons