RN Transfers

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Jim30, May 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

So in other words you'll join the RNR to take up sopmeones billet in order to give you the advantage when you join the RN?

Personally people like you really p*ss me off. You'll be occupying a branch slot and likely doing exercises that people want to do, or getting a place on popular courses knowing full well that you'll have run away by the time you're trained to do anything useful.

Why not just leave now and let someone who wants to do the job long term take your place. Alternatively go join an URNU where you can travel and play around to your hearts content prior to joining.

2. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

You could be right about GSSR, its still quite new and the goal posts keep shifting. That said, there are interesting possibilities appearing.

If MTO sounds good to you then I'd say go for it! Personally I'd ignore what Jim30 said .... don't really want to get into a slanging match, but I can't see what possible value his opinion has.

3. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

Jim, the recruitment and retention figures for the RNR now formally accept that we lose people to the RN. This means the RN get people that are more switched on to what will happen when they're in.

Let's face it Jim, we're not in the position where we have no spare billets are we? If only.

4. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

Jim30 - what an incredibly short-sighted statement to make. You may not have noticed but we do also recruit people FROM the RN, many of whom have very useful skills and experience. It does work both ways you know.

If we stopped taking people who were intending joining the RN in a few years time, recruitment would be even worse and in any event not all of them do join up and some stay RNR.

As far as branches go, MTO (NCAGS) is getting its act together and if you want a bit of travel I can recommend it. I have e-mail contact details for the branch WO1 if you want them - PM me if so.

5. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

I firmly stand by my views. We're trying to develop a long term RNR, and by encouraging people to come in for a couple of years then letting them go, all we do is create manpower bubbles which take ages to work through the system.

Then we have situations where people want places on course which can be fully booked, why should we penalise someone comitted to the RNR long haul by letting people who have no intention of staying get a place? Same with exercises, foreign exercises should be a reward and a retention tool. there are plenty of UK based exercises, and I really think place allocation should be firmly for those who show long term commtiment to the branch and the RNR. By taking someone on who we know is going, we waste good money training them, then they will probably take someone elses place who we could lose when they quit out of frustration that they don't get good exercise places.

Sorry but I really think that those part time part timers are a waste of our resources. Given how long it will take to train we'll lose them before they are actually of any value to us. That to me is a scandalous waste of limited resources. I've seen lots of people come in, use the training system and then go onto the RN, without ever having contributed anything meaningful to the operational side of the RNR. Frankly this is something we should crack down on, not tacitly encourage.

6. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

Okay Jim30, assuming your idea ever gains any support from further up the food chain, how do you propose to actually administer this? Are you going to discharge those already in who have stated they are "interested in joining the RN"? (and if so on what grounds?). Are you going to discriminate against them in terms of what training they receive (not quite sure on what basis we'd actually be able to do this without getting in serious hot water). Are you going to put it on the recruiting literature and website that we don't take those who are planning on joining full-time, so don't bother applying? I don't see how it could possibly work, as all that would happen is if it became public knowledge that we did not recruit those planning on leaving in a few years then they'd not bother telling us this was their intention when they joined ! How are we supposed to know any different? And then they'd just resign in a few years time for no apparent reason and go and join full time anyway !

7. Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

Jim,

If we are to have true OC linked in with the RN, I think your idea will seriously detract from the naval service cohesion.

Would you rather we returned to the days, and mindset, of the MSFs.

Some of the best support and advertising we have in the fleet and those who left to join them from our ranks.

M(R)

8. I think that more than a few join up as a "suck it and see" exercise. If they find they like service life, they transfer to the RN! It's a plus for both the RNR and the RN I think.

The main intake for most units *stand fast RUs like Vivid and KA with large numbers of ex-regulars) remains I think those that wanted to join when they were younger but for various reasons did not.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Re: Choosing an RNR branch.

Too true

You make this sound a bad thing. In today's world it would be, however at the time, the RNR excelled at meanswiping and the parallel universe that then existed had more positive aspects than it would today.

As a comms rate, I feel duty bound to say we need better communication between the RN and RNR and a better understanding of each others strengths, weaknesses and capabilities.

10. Nope, I'm saying that when young members walk through the door we should ascertain very quickly whether they are planning a career in the RN. If so then they should politely but firmly be sent the URNU's way, which is far better equipped to look after them.

I've seen a lot of potential recruits and YO's join, then not even clear basic because they see it as a prelude to going to BRNC. I can think of a lot of OPUS officers who having passed then went and joined up. At the end of it the RNR's wasted a lot of time and money training people who will never use that training.

I accept that sometimes people join and only later want to transfer, but we should not be doing business with those who see us as a stepping stone to a real navy job. Let them in, but make sure that those who are committed get first priority on course application etc.

11. Jim30, how many course have been canceled because there are not enough people attending? I would bet more individual training opportunities are lost because of this reason than because of over booking.

I would like to see if "missed opportunities" to train will still be an issue with a shift to regional training at week-ends.

12. Out of interest how much does it cost to train an RNR recruit anyway? Victualling costs for a training weekend and travelling expenses? What else?

13. Just seen this!,

Jim 30, you must have your head up your arse mate!

We all work for the same Big cheese now, and in case you didn't know,the plan is to make it much easier in the future to transfer between RNR and RN.

That is the Gen dit from Fleet!

So as much as you may think it is bad for someone to join the RNR with the full intention of later leaving to join the RN, the recruiters will be rubbing their hands with delight,same joining procedure now anyway.

Its nothing to do with excercises and jollys,10 years down the line you wont be able to get a fag paper between where the RNR stops and the RN
    starts,RNR will be the Sabatical for the RN.

With a couple of days familiarisation, any RN sailor could do any job similar to his branch in the RNR,most (especially GSSR) would obviously require none at all, asthat is just the bread and butter of the warfare branch, comms excepted.

dont let anybody tell you that the RNR isn't la la land,and money for old rope (no pun intended)

All the best

QD(PO)

14. Not everyone who transfers RNR->RN is:

a) An officer
    b) A graduate

I have shed loads of time for the URNU, but they are not looking to provide the same thing as the RNR. We should be looking to recruit from them not dump on them.

15. Jim, just a minor point, but the URNU don't want people who want to join the RN. Its a thinly disguised recruiting vehicle for the RN, not really a pre-RN training organisation.

16. "I have shed loads of time for the URNU, but they are not looking to provide the same thing as the RNR. We should be looking to recruit from them not dump on them"

Have you ever tried recruiting from URNU's - its a topic worthy of a thread by itself. Theres a lot of problems attached to this idea.

While the URNU may be a recruiting tool, it serves to provide more general experience, seamanship and navigational stuff that the RNR can't do. It is of more value to a wannabe officer to go and spend 3 years in a unit designed to do dedicated training for this sort of thing, than spend 3 years doing courses which while essential for RNR, will have little impact on their ability to become an officer.

17. My point is not all transferees are undergraduates and wannabe officers.

A new thread eh!

18. My unit has a lot of former RN people, myself included. We also provide a lot of people for the RN. The numbers are roughly the same but I am not counting. What I do know is that there are two or three Lts RN who would not be if they had not been junior rates with us first. Importantly they are developing into officers who fully understand and value the RNR. That, Jim, is the reason why it will always be a good thing and not bad. I suggest you turn your vitriol against those who waste all of our time and just leave with out doing any thing useful.

19. It has always been thus. I read a dit from the fifties that said that people were joining the RNVR to be guaranteed RN National Service.

I have no problem with anyone joining the RNRand wanting to go to the RN, lets face it if they don't like it it costs a hell of a lot less (from HMG's point of view). Two points do irk me however.

First: (In my experience) For whatever reason, many ex RNR's who are now regulars seem to 'forget' the fact they where in the RNR and are often quite scathing about it.

Second: The fact that its takes so bloody long to get anyone for AIB both from a paperwork and time point of view and then they Join full time. If they want a full time commision it should go through AFCO in the normal way, not apply for an AIB in the RNR and then take up the offer of RN.

20. Just a quick dit about the cost of RNRs who transfer to the RN.
    Ex-RNRs at BRNC have a much lower drop out rate than those straight from civvy street. The saving to the RN is a lot. Obviously to loose someone from an RNR unit to the RN can seem to be a loss of effort and money, but in the bigger picture it's a gain as the RN looses lass in 'wasted' training costs etc.