RN To The Rescue (Maybe) Merged Threads

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Shinerwrightuk, Apr 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

There's certainly a precedent for the Royal Navy evacuating British citizens after natural or political disaster has left them stranded. Previously it's been mainly in life-threatening situations though.

Perhaps if they could all move up the road to Dunkirk we wouldn't even have to draft up new plans.

2. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

Nice idea but I suspect it's a non-starter. Even if we had the ships available, the Defence budget is strapped for cash and couldn't afford the berthing fees in continental ports. Even if stranded passengers wade out from the beaches, as at Dunkirk, there are fuel costs to consider. Then there are the Health & Safety aspects. Blood chits aren't worth the paper they're written on with certain ambulance-chasing lawyers around. Imagine the consequences if someone caught a chill after paddling in the water. That's without taking into account all the border control and customs issues.

Oh, hell. Let's just do it!

3. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

What a strange idea, there are hardly any airports along that stretch of coast, certainly none used by holidaymakers flying back to England. The ferries and Eurostar are still running so exactly what service is he replacing. Similarly if he is catering for people who have made it to the coast instead of flying from an airport further into France then surely they can just get on the ferry as a foot passenger. If they could afford to pay the bus/train/car hire cost to get to the coast they can pay the fare (sometimes as low as £1) to cross the channel as a foot passenger. Slightly confused.

4. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

When I first read the title of this thread: "Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?" my instant reaction before reading the thread was; almost certainly!

I have to add that this made me chuckle!

5. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

From the Eurostar website:

An example from Latest ferry news for April 2010:

P&O Ferries: 'No Foot Passengers before Wednesday'

6. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

I for one will be spending the next few days selling Goose fat in Calais, and encouraging people to swim for it :D

7. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

With the added advantage that the Germans won't be able to take to the air to conduct strafing runs of the holidaymakers waiting to embark.

8. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

Perhaps this event also calls for a reassessment of the importance of the sea lanes and the Royal Navy.

9. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

just on sky news that brown is holding a meeting with the cabinet and is a possibility of the navy fetching people home by sea.

10. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the extent of the impact on ferries.

As it happens, the OP is not the only one suggesting the RN are used. Just released by the Conservative Party Shadow Transport Secretary Theresa Villiers:

Conservative Party 8 point plan for dealing with flight crisis:

11. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

Out of interest, had a little 'wander' around the Eurostar website and availability is remarkably limited even 2/ 3 weeks from now; lokks like the panic buying / wise forward planning has begun...

12. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

My immediate reaction when I heard that was that the Sky News guys had just read this thread!

13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

But the impact on the RN will be high. The big people carriers - Amphibs - are all working up for exercises in US. But if told to go then yes we could help. LPD can move up to 1000 comfortably with the LSD's helping out (bearing in mind the time for them all to ship round as they are scattered to the four seas). I think the CVS could help but her hanger is rammed with Avn stores etc for her deployment to the US and as we know the carrier queens tend not to arrive in time and just hang around off the coast getting in the way of the professional (LPD's) in these matters.

Have to say I would prefer to use our lift capability to bring home those returning from AFG at Cyprus and shipping of vital stores to help the airhead to Theatre from Cyprus. Plus I hope now that some will stop looking at Cyprus as a quick win for disposal to save money and pander to diplomatic efforts in the area. We still need that little bit of the UK for our strategic needs.

I would say if you a boat capable of channel hopping get online and offer your services. Obviously you can not be payed for this service as the MCA have certain rules about these things. But if the grateful "friends" wished to give you a cash present - well who would know?

14. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

The media will always be the media but it's clearly getting financially serious for some folks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8628116.stm

Given the lead time required HMG should be making it move yesterday. This is an island nation and the rest of Europe will not face the same scale of issues in getting their people home...

15. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

The Calais rescue has been stopped (by the French, I understand).

Here is the Calais rescue thread via Dan Snow on Twitter:

The first flotilla of boats have arrived in Calais and have begun loading up!
    about 7 hours ago via Echofon

If in Calais now, go to centre of town, basin paradis next to Holiday Inn our boats will be there throughout day first come first served
    about 7 hours ago via Echofon

We are still loading the boats,plenty of room at the moment.Get to Calais!
    about 6 hours ago via Echofon

Thank you everyone for your support! The sun is shining in Calais and the boats are filling up.
    about 6 hours ago via Echofon

We have been shut down! No reason. Rescued 25 on way home shortly. NO MORE BOATS we are very sorry.
    about 5 hours ago via Echofon

Rescued 3 boat loads! Due back into Dover shortly. We have now been shut down so that is it I am afraid.
    about 4 hours ago via Echofon

The boats are in view, the rescue party are home!
    about 3 hours ago via Echofon

Calais rescue is over and out! Thank you for all your support.
    about 3 hours ago via Echofon

The team at Dover Docks have been amazing thank you for supporting Calais rescue today! Over and out x
    about 2 hours ago via Echofon

SP.

16. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

Probably because they are avoiding immigration/customs points or some such legal obstacle.

17. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

Complete non-starter. The crisis would be over by the time the UK got organised.

The trains across Europe are booked solid for the next few days, so getting across to the coast would take forever anyway. And where would the UK muster her citizens? There's bound to be some EU regulation that would stop it happening because we're not talking about life-threatening situations such as war or civil unrest.

18. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

... and if the ash keeps coming, say 3 more week's worth?

19. Re: Is the Royal Navy missing a good PR opportunity here?

As I said in my opener... The crisis would be over by the time the UK got organised. Don't they know we have an election on? Far too busy to do any organising, unless it means getting voters in marginal seats back home in time... :twisted: