RN time-bomb found in Central Park, New York

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Naval_Gazer, Jan 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a former EOD operator ever mindful of checking the safety of ordnance and slapping an FFE (Free From Explosives) certificate on it before leaving the scene, this article tickled me:

From personal experience, even ancient explosive can detonate unexpectedly if treated with insufficient care.

2. At the back of one of the buildings I visited was an area of waste ground used as a car park, getting out the car I see a hand grenade amongst the grass, I go into the building and get the manager, take him outside and show him the grenade, he moves his foot back to give it a poke, hold on says I, wait till I'm behind that wall before you kick it, he realises what he was about to do was potentialy terminal and retreats, bomb squad are called, area closed down etc, turns out the place was an old TA training camp and the grenade was one of their old toys, never found out if it was a live one or a dummy.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If the cannon had gone off it would have been a salutary reminder of the US LOSING Mr Madison's War of 1812.

4. If the cannon had gone off, we'd most likely have been added to the axis of evil, and invaded.(Or at least a drone strike):D

5. Fruit and veg go off!!!

You'd be amazed at what people pick up and think it can't be dangerous because it's old!

6. HMS HUSSAR was sunk in Hell Gate, NY, in 1781, becalmed and swept by the tide onto a nasty big rock. A few years ago some eejit tried to convince the world (and any potential investors out there) that she was carrying $3 billion dollars worth of British army payroll at the time, and that it was still down there just waiting to be recovered - utter nonsense, of course, but the Septic press liked the story. In fact, the wreck is nowadays believed to be under a police station, on land reclaimed from the sea.