RN Still short of Engineers? Ahem!

A

Art the Fart

Mot so long ago when we had Fleets worldwide , the most senior Engineer was an ERA (The ERA to ERA dream).
Today, with few seaworthy ships and unsustainable Shore Establishments and less and fewer than everything else--We sport an EVA with a BSc (CEng) and MIMechE--What is going on?
Mind you he hasn't pushed the button of an oil can in light years, pushing, as he does now, pens as Nav Sec.
He now contemplates such vital matters as the colour of the buttons for the new No. 4A's for female submariners.
Black or Navy Blue?
We'll need to arrange a Seminar.
Scillies are pleasant at this time of year.
Culdrose will fly us out.

Seadog

War Hero
I hate to shut the fuel off to your burner but one Captain E is a former dockyard apprentice. A future CNEO?

Seadog

War Hero
I read that the Engineering Council will not renew the 'Fast Track' to registration licences held by the Professional Institutions for RN Engineering Officers and Ratings.

I wasn't a fan or a benefactor.

Irezumi

Badgeman
Haven't seen that, although that could cause some annoyance with those who are driving to make registration a requirement. Out of interest were there any reasons given?

A

Art the Fart

Engineers?
Time to revert perhaps.
When those dirty engine things arrived the RN realised it must do something about it.
They found one officer with a mechanical bent, promoted him Rear Admiral and in 1903 made him the first Chief Inspector of Machinery.
His Inspectors aboard ship, located the broken bit-had its picture taken-found the manufacturers name cast on the side and posted off a requisition.
The Company made the replacement part and sent off a couple of Engineers who bolted the new bit on and gave the old bit the float test.
Having repaired aft for a Mess of Pottage and a couple of Horses Necks, they caught the train back to Sunderland or where-ever.
It was No. 1 who was unhappy. Those frightful mechanical chappies got grease all over my blancoed Turks Heads------and we've got the gals coming on board tonight for Leg-Overs.

Last edited by a moderator: