RN Standards

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
What has happened the the Royal Navy these days? Last week I was walking through Fareham shopping centre and, according to her arm badges, a PO Wren walked past in a pair of overaulls and without a cap in sight.
Today I drove out of Gosport and lo and behold, I spy another sloppy sod in overaulls and without cap, walking across a zebra crossing.
I hate to say it, but when I was in the mob, no one was allowed to go ashore in eight's, let alone overhauls, BUT to go ashore without head gear, well, that was a criminal offence.
Have RN standards really dropped so low, or are there too many civvies on main gates these days?

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ignoring the headgear bit, are you sure they weren't wearing PCS, todays version of 8's? You are allowed to travel to and from home to place of work in PCS.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Look on the RN website for piccy's of PCS. Like you going out the gate was a no no but times change, plus there's no red badge suit anymore.

huwshpis

War Hero
Steam? Nowadays only associated with nuclear reactors and sleek black messengers of death not normally observed above sea level. The rest of the Andrew relies on diesel, gas turbines (aka navalised jet engines) or electricity to get about. I dare say, if the Greens had their way, we'd be back to using sails, but I can't see the Treasury wanting to pay for all the additional hands.

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
Wow, you sound dead good man. Are you one of those slippery creepers that slink about on the sea bed then? Why would the Greenies want to go back to sail. They wouldn'y have a job if they did that.

huwshpis

War Hero
No, although I have taken passage on a couple of them. I was a reservist for 20 years and have now been out longer than I was in, started as a greenie/pinkie and ended up as a squirrel. My day job (I can't afford to retire) is practising as a barrister.

guns1969

War Hero
No, although I have taken passage on a couple of them. I was a reservist for 20 years and have now been out longer than I was in, started as a greenie/pinkie and ended up as a squirrel. My day job (I can't afford to retire) is practising as a barrister.
When do you stop practising and become a barrister ??????????????:)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Wow, you sound dead good man. Are you one of those slippery creepers that slink about on the sea bed then? Why would the Greenies want to go back to sail. They wouldn'y have a job if they did that.
Slippery creepers!!! You mean one of the select chosen men (chosen 'cos I was drafted to boats).

huwshpis

War Hero
When do you stop practising and become a barrister ??????????????:)
I AM a barrister and have a piece of paper and a little plastic card to say so, but at the current rate of progress, won’t stop practising until I’m wrapped in a hammock with two round shot and a stitch through my nose.

guns1969

War Hero
I AM a barrister and have a piece of paper and a little plastic card to say so, but at the current rate of progress, won’t stop practising until I’m wrapped in a hammock with two round shot and a stitch through my nose.
'Twas said in jest, glad you've got a sense of humour.