RN SLang terms...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WhizzbangDai, Nov 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Righto. As a current pongo, I look around Rum Ration as I want to join the RN after university...

However, I'm getting increasingly confused as to what the numerous slang terms and MLA/TLA's out there are? Ie what on earth is a 'killick'? Some form of Engineering Rating, but beyond that...? and a 'Jimmy'? MEO? :scratch:

Basically, any slang terms or common multiple letter abbreviations you want to explain, because your bored, i'd be very much appreciate! :thumright:

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

We could post on here for hours, if you're that interested, buy the book "Jackspeak" an official guide to RN slang, profits go to charity (used to anyway) and you can probably buy it from the Navy News website or the RN museum. Incidentally, Killick comes from hook, meaning anchor in our case which is the insignia for a leading hand (corporal equivalent, in all branches) Jimmy is the 1st lieutenant in a ship or shore establishment. Striling posted just before me!

3. Fantastic, thanks guys!

4. Better priced at WHSmith.

As an ex-pongo hoping to join the RN this is a must for me.

5. Dammit should have looked around first!

Blasted Amazon, one click ordering...*mutter mutter mutter*

6. Always thought that a `Killick` was a spare (Gash) anchor.

7. tiddlyoggy

Hig,
    Just looked in my dictionary:
    killick-a heavy stone used as an anchor; a small anchor.

and from Jackspeak:
    older word for a small stern anchor, now used for any leading hand because of the single fouled anchor sleeve badge of a leading rate.

9. I met many a killick that I wanted to throw over the stern :roll:

10. Killick=Anchor=rhyming slang for [email protected], quite apt it seems after reading the woeful wailing of one in another thread.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Jackspeak often appears on ebay at a reasonable price, but well worth paying full price in any case

12. Jackspeak is great. I have my original copy (signed by Rick Jolly when it was first published), but language changes, and I'm pretty certain that although the basics of my generation are still there, many things have changed. Half of the current abbreviations, acronyms, and nicknames are no longer relevant to me, or my contemporaries.
    I do hope, however, that such names as Knocker White, Chats Harris,
    Bogie Knight, Daisy Adams, Dixie Dean, Pony Moore, Rattler Morgan etc., are still in use. There will be other more recent additions, but it would be a shame to see the long standing ones drop out .
    They were, or hopefully are, unique to the RN.

2BM

13. tiddlyoggy

Biggest drawback of Jackspeak is that it is too WAFU specific, there are quite a few GS terms that have slightly different interpretations.

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Interesting observation, Oggy, I always thought it leant a bit towards the Booties. But a first class compilation none the less.

15. tiddlyoggy

SW,
    Agreed, undoubtedly very entertaining, but I'm sure I'm not the only poster on here to have come across variations on the meanings. Obviously Rick Jolly's time was spent mostly with WAFU's and Royal hence the heavy influences, but a little more research into GS would have been rewarding for the casual readers I feel.

16. Got an original, He got "Black watch" and "5th watch" mixed up in that

17. WAFU . We are F***ing Unique. See, one bit of slang you wont have to look up.

18. Wet and f***ing useless more likely.
    :laughing8: