Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RN Ships Divers Course - How many dives?

strongarm

Hi shipmates, I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I'm doing some civvy diving and want to count my RN dives against a qualification I am working towards (the qualification requires a minimum of 100 dives).

I looked in my RN diving log book and I see that all of the minutes done during the Ship Diver Course has been summarised (1080 minutes) and it does not say how many dives I did during the course.

I did the course in 1980 at Vernon.

Does anyone know how many dives were done on the course at that time?

Thank you in advance guys :)

Spidiver

War Hero
About 40- 45 dives,
Week one , nothing on Monday, then 2 per day plus an extra for night dive on Thursday, (9)
week 2 lots of jackstays so probably 3 per day plus 2 night dives, (17)
week 3 harbour week, 2 per day plus 2 night dives, (12)
week 4 deep dives and tool training, depending on what the course was at the time, so maybe 8 dives this week week.

Hope this helps

pie.thatcher

Lantern Swinger
About 40- 45 dives,
Week one , nothing on Monday, then 2 per day plus an extra for night dive on Thursday, (9)
week 2 lots of jackstays so probably 3 per day plus 2 night dives, (17)
week 3 harbour week, 2 per day plus 2 night dives, (12)
week 4 deep dives and tool training, depending on what the course was at the time, so maybe 8 dives this week week.

Hope this helps
Did my course in Guzz in 70, the above was about the same for me.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Strongarm - if you are genuinely trying to use dives/minutes from 33 years ago to put against a course now, then I despair! Unless you have been diving regularly since then, in my very humble opinion, then start again. I'm guessing you want to do a PADI DM or ITC. If so just crack on and get some recretional diving in - minutes from Ship's Diver Course so long ago are useless. Where you are it could/should only take you a couple of months to crack in enough 'qualifying' dives of 20 minutes.

Last edited:

strongarm

Cheers

Strongarm - if you are genuinely trying to use dives/minutes from 33 years ago to put against a course now, then I despair! Unless you have been diving regularly since then, in my very humble opinion, then start again. I'm guessing you want to do a PADI DM or ITC. If so just crack on and get some recretional diving in - minutes from Ship's Diver Course so long ago are useless. Where you are it could/should only take you a couple of months to crack in enough 'qualifying' dives of 20 minutes.

S-B (ex Ship's Diver, Ship's Diver Suprvisor, SADS, FCD, AI and HSE Pt 4 and Pt 4(R) and still diving!

Thanks for the very useful information Spidiver and pie.thatcher.

SonarBender, stop despairing and guessing, you are wasting (thieving maybe?) oxygen.

I have no desire to be an instructor or similar. I want to do the self-sufficient course so that I can dive on my own agenda and not have to pair up with some young twat who wants to race around everywhere or get paired up with a gas guzzler.

I have done about 40 dives in the last 4 months and now am about 80% comfortable and proficient again (I did stacks of BSAC diving in the 80's but have no records). I'm also intelligent enough to know how much time I need to get proficient again. My instructor is also vastly experienced and I am sure will tell me if he doesn't think I am up to speed, a decision I would accept without question. The course/qual requires you to have 100 dives and I do not want to do another 60 dives that I have to pay for and getting in and out of the water for 20 minute dips is tedious (I'm getting old).

So S-B, in my humble opinion, I think you should take a chill-pill shipmate.

Strongarm (all-round good egg and can't be arsed listing my qualifications)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Strongers, I am more chilled than a Polar bear in a fridge. I was genuinely trying to help you.

As it was your first post it was impossible to get any knowledge of your background, and given your location, my response seemed good.

As an experienced and current diver/instructor, I often come across people who want to 'grab thir flippers, strap on an oxygen bottle' and dive to oblivion. This is also obvious on many diving fora.

Re diving solo - you know peaple will tell you you are doomed? (That's a joke!).

I'm no oxygen thief, in fact my air consumption on a dive is excellent.

frogman007

War Hero
Strongers, I am more chilled than a Polar bear in a fridge. I was genuinely trying to help you.

As it was your first post it was impossible to get any knowledge of your background, and given your location, my response seemed good.

As an experienced and current hobby diver/instructor, I often come across people who want to 'grab thir flippers, strap on an oxygen bottle' and dive to oblivion. This is also obvious on many diving fora.

Re diving solo - you know peaple will tell you you are doomed? (That's a joke!).

I'm no oxygen thief, in fact my air consumption on a dive is excellent.

Fixed. Couldn't resist.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
You are absolutely right! No offence taken at all.

Only 1000 and 22 degrees already. Might go off for a quick plongee.............. (actually, here it is buceo!)

strongarm

Excellent news.

My instructor is happy to accept the minutes in my log book along with the information posted here as proof of having sufficient dives!

Cheers guys, thanks again for your help :blob2:

I qualified as a ships diver in 1963. I finished my time in the Andrew in 1969. Some years later I decided to take up diving again, but realised that civilian diving did not recognise pusser qualifications. So I just enrolled on a PADDI course, and started diving again. I'm now 74 and I'm still at it, however I don't do deep or cold!

fishhead

War Hero
I qualified as a ships diver in 1963. I finished my time in the Andrew in 1969. Some years later I decided to take up diving again, but realised that civilian diving did not recognise pusser qualifications. So I just enrolled on a PADDI course, and started diving again. I'm now 74 and I'm still at it, however I don't do deep or cold!
I thought you were going to say you'd left your comb and mirror in the changing room the day you left and was wondering if it had been handed in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2020 MoD News 0
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2020 MoD News 0
cheddarman Ships Bell Submariners 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2020 MoD News 0
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2020 MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2020 MoD News 0
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
MoD_RSS 19,000 British travellers return from cruise ships after major international effort MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over-70s and at-risk Brits advised against travelling on cruise ships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backs cleaner planes, ships and automobiles with £37 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2020 MoD News 0
M Ships Photographers in WW2. History 10
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told" The Fleet 4
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2019 MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Little Ships. The Book Club 10
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2019 MoD News 0
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2019 MoD News 0
E Tracing ships visits - Help needed The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2019 MoD News 0
Obsidian00 Ships Badge/Crest History 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2019 MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
G New Ships RFA 9
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary secures ships to protect home waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK set for new Birmingham warship and will keep amphibious assault ships, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
soleil Liverpool Echo: "New Military Ships 'Must Be Built At Yards Like Cammell Laird After Brexit'" RFA 1
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
S Identifying ships for SIFT interview RFA 3