RN / RM Couple - Which Base is Best?

Hola!

I'm currently in the recruitment process for the RN (scribe) and my boyfriend is about to start RM training at Lympstone.

Anybody here had any experience with this military couple stuff? Just want to get an idea of what living arrangements we can expect to find ourselves in over the next few years?
When we're both done with training, as a commando will he know where he'll be based for General Duties? Is it likely that after my professional training I'll be able to choose where I go? - If so.. is it likely it could be somewhere near? Equally, we're happy to spend time apart and spend leave dates together if necessary.. but long term, when married... could married quarters work for us? ... Somehow have the feeling that Faslane is the only base able to accommodate us both. (which is a great location as we're mountain bikers... but 10 hours drive from home in Wales!)

If anybody has any advice on this stuff.. I'm all ears!

Kindest thanks in advance

J

:eek::eek::eek::D;);)

In the next few years Devonport is going to see an influx of RM personnel, (if reports are accurate - a mixture of media and MoD info), so maybe it may be worth considering the Plymouth area as somewhere to settle in the future.

Cheers for that Ballistic - could be a great idea. Not too far away from sunny Wales! ;)

I'd consider Norway... but my dad was there with the RN in 1990-something and says he still hasn't warmed up!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As a Writer it's entirely feasible you could get drafted to one of the Commando units. The Corps still has Clerks (their equivalent) but they're usually augmented by RN Writers. Strictly speaking a newly fledged writer can expect to go to the top of the sea roster but there aren't always a plethora of sea drafts available for Writers.

Your OH will usually find out where he's likely to be drafted around Week 30 of RM training. Most Royals want to join one of the three fighting units but a fair few opt for 43 Cdo in Faslane as it offers wider opportunities in the eyes of some. The Southern Commando units are the most popular (40 & 42) and are sometimes over-subscribed.

Tell him to have a shufty at the RM forum on www.royalmarines.uk if he hasn't already, there's loads of people on there waiting to join the Corps, those currently in training, trained ranks and, of course, their parents and partners.

When considering where to settle, Jenm, be sure to have plan B (and C) up your sleeves; bearing in mind that not all those who commence RN & RM training are guaranteed to complete it...

Best of luck to both of you.

I can understand that

what a marriage a Writer and a Reggie or 2 Reggie's
One to kick the shoite out of You, and the other to take down Your 'confession';) excellent use of resources in these straightened times,and You wont have to teach the crusher to read and write. Whats not to like.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yeah, they wont go home every night together. They'll go to a nightclub, get hammered, eat a Chilli encrusted kebab. Trap each other, go home, get through the Vinegar strokes. Then when she's putting her tights back on, he'll stick a ships crest behind the headboard, wipe his kn*b on the curtains and get a taxi back to the ship. Bliss!

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hola!

I'm currently in the recruitment process for the RN (scribe) and my boyfriend is about to start RM training at Lympstone.

Anybody here had any experience with this military couple stuff? Just want to get an idea of what living arrangements we can expect to find ourselves in over the next few years?
When we're both done with training, as a commando will he know where he'll be based for General Duties? Is it likely that after my professional training I'll be able to choose where I go? - If so.. is it likely it could be somewhere near? Equally, we're happy to spend time apart and spend leave dates together if necessary.. but long term, when married... could married quarters work for us? ... Somehow have the feeling that Faslane is the only base able to accommodate us both. (which is a great location as we're mountain bikers... but 10 hours drive from home in Wales!)

If anybody has any advice on this stuff.. I'm all ears!

Kindest thanks in advance

J

:eek::eek::eek::D;);)

Well done, it's good to see you getting your first service marriage out of the way nice and early! x