RN Recruitment compared to other Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Don87, Nov 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I was walking through the mall today when I get accosted by 2 large Army recruiters intent on telling me why the Army needs me.

It felt almost like kicking a puppy when I told them, to their obvious disappointment, that I had just applied for the Royal Navy.

"But you get to drive tanks and stuff" one of them pleaded desperately.

I told them I was sorry, but it was submarines for me. Nothing else would do.

"Lucky bastard, you'll be driving about in Ferrari's while we are doing all the real work" replied the other guy. He may have been joking about the real work bit, but I am certainly looking forward to this obligatory Ferrari after my part 3.

Anyways, I got talking to these 2 unusual guys (one was a proper hard scottish guy, easily 40+ the other a big english bloke in his mid 20s with an impossible to understand accent) and a very interesting conversation I did have.

They were visually astounded by some of the recruitment times I told them. Especially when I said I was hoping for a 7 month turnover between application to joining, and that that would be a fairly quick one.

Maybe they were just bragging, but they seemed pretty sincere when they told me the Army recruitment process involved a lot less bureaucracy and took a lot less time.

So is that true? And if so, why?

Also, I have been getting harrased by Army recruiters in my town center since the age of 15 (the beard always made them target me I think), yet until I actually actively went looking for the information MYSELF, I knew nothing of the Navy.

Why isn't there more push for recruitment? Why not more information available to joe-public? Why do I need to go do tons of research for equivalent information that is available and pushed by the Army?

All thoughts welcome ^_^;
  2. Maybe the army are in need of personal and the navy not i dunno.
  3. So what are your intrest in submarines and why do you wanna join the navy? :thumright:
  4. if I was to join up again(stand by for shit) then it would be in SM service. anyone that knows me knows that i have been in every branch the navy has to offer, but it would be SM all the way for me. Extra money, close knit crew, and nowhere near as much bollocks as GS. plus the golden handcuffs. Go for it mate!
  5. Every Branch?.......stands back in awe. :w00t:
  6. Well, a lot of them anyway. Until I found my true calling.
  7. I think the advertising the army does makes their service more appealing, and every time I see that advert of a sundodger doing the Ferranti re-set I cringe.

I think the best advert for the navy was the field gun competition during the Royal Tournament.
  8. Navy Days with a full Dockyard of RN vessels never seemed to hurt in the 50/60s - now it's full of NATO vessels, one SSN , a few RFAs and the Booties with their LCMs. And I bet you can't play with the Bofors like you could in the old days.............
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I fear your Army recruiters are not comparing like with like!

The general rule of thumb with regard recruiting is that the Navy, Army & Air Force all follow broadly the same routine:

You conduct an informal eligibility interview when you first visit your AFCO, you submit your application forms, you sit an entrance test, you undergo a formal selection interview. (The RAF & Army have a 2nd selection interview to verify the findings of the first!)

The RN/RM & RAF then undergo a medical & the RAF have now introduced a PJFT too.

The Royal Marines, Army Infantry & RAF Regiment (Gunners) then undergo a 3 day selection course at the respective Infantry training school, during which the Army candidates undergo a medical examination too. As with all 3 service Infantry trades, there is always a shortage of candidates & waiting time to join is usually fairly swift for all 3 services, normally within 3 months from submitting your application forms to entry, assuming the candidate is fully fit from the outset. Obviously this is frequently longer for Royal Marines as the fitness standards are higher & often the individuals take longer to prepare- the selection failure rate is higher also.

If, for example you wished to join the RN as an Engineering Technician, the REME likewise & similarly the RAF, you will find that there are far fewer technicians, therefore fewer vacancies, fewer courses & fewer people who pass the entrance test- hence the longer wait.

Why don't we advertise more? Numerically, we're just over 1/3rd the size of the Army & just over 2/3rds the size of the RAF (ish) we have correspondingly less cash to do so, nor the requirement.

Edited because of gash maths- now revised. Yup the RN is by far the smallest of the 3 services in manpower, even including the Royal Marines!
  10. The Army have called me 4 time in the past month asking if I would be interested in applying. They sent me stakes of info, called to check the info was helpful and even managed a follow up call when I didn't send the forms back.
    I guess they are always look for people, the Navy is only looking for the best people. ;-p
  11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmmmm i think i have to disagree with you Sara, i think the forces (not sure about the crabs) at this time of manpower shortages are only interested in numbers. I have a MEM/ET in my section who has 3 A levels and is starting to realise that maybe at the careers office he was sold a bunch of !!!!!!!!!
  12. Some good points there!

I think that I make a much better recruit now when I have an actual desire and strong interest in the Navy, than I would of when I left school at 17, a total *********.

But isn't leaving the responsibility of tomorrows Navy up to fresh recruits coming on their own accord a bit risky? I hear of all these manning shortages, even in terms of a manning crisis, and I wonder if the RN could do more.

Not trying to have a dig, I just think that one flashy TV advert isn't enough to generate interest for most people. There could be many fine potential recruits of the future who just need the right kind of push through the door, but are not getting it.
  13. ^^^ Don't talk to me about numbers. Joining the RN is a bloody hard slog. Me and several other RR members have been kept on the shelf for a while now yet the Army seem very keen for me to attend all manner of swirling, dancing and singing powerpoint presentations. Fact is the Army can't be as chosey about who they select because of logistics...

A Levels mean very little. Why is he feeling so dejected?
  14. Ninja_Stoker

I'd be fascinated to hear more!

It's not uncommon for graduates to join the Royal Marines as an Other Rank & alarmingly common for people with A Levels to fail the basic Recuiting Test for Officer. Alternatively if the guy does not have the basic 5 GCSE's at Grade C including Maths & English plus 140 UCAS points at A2 (not AS) Level, then he's ineligible to join as an Officer. Maybe the guy took AIB & failed, maybe as many do, the individual decided to "start at the bottom".

It's surprising how many people twist the facts to appear as though there was a conspiracy against them and they are the aggrieved party. The Careers Office are more intent on getting people in the correct jobs so as they stay in, rather than trying to get as many in as possible.

If you are the guy's Divisional Officer, read his "AFCO Form 101" (Selection Interview Report) & all will become abundantly clear, despite the claims of the individual. If someone is qualified educationally for officer but does not elect to go for officer selection, his Careers Adviser has to write a justification as to why he was not put forward as an officer- similarly if someone scores well over and above the recruiting test score for their chosen trade, the report must confirm that the individual is aware of the trades available.

Finally, when the guy signed on his RN Form S3049, he signed a statement to the effect that his Careers Adviser had explained all jobs available to him & is content with his chosen trade.

Edited to correct mong spelling errors
  15. witsend

I hear what your saying future, but in my opinion joining the mechanic and artificer branches together is a very dangerous move. Everyone joins as a ET and 22 years down the line we will see if this costcutting measure will work. I don't disagree that some folk will benifit from the extra training, but what will happen when manpower shortages happen?
  16. Ninja_Stoker

The RN, despite the highly visual TV ads, has had an ongoing recruiting campaign for many years, targeting secondary schools amongst others.

My local AFCO visits between 150 to 200 secondary schools in our area alone each year, raising the RN profile by conducting Mock Job Interviews with pupils, conducting Enterprise Days (team-building activities), has a Royal Navy Student presentation team giving professional presentations 5 days per week, A Royal Marines Visibility Team visiting local schools 5 days per week, we attend all Careers Conventions in our area, conduct customer Response Presentations very single week, attend most public shows with various assets (Aircraft, Interactive/simulator vehicles), conduct Job Clinics at the Job Centre Plus & Connexions, advertise in the local press as well as the national press and TV, have helicopters visiting schools, conduct Royal Marines Band school visits, have RN PTI's visiting schools, RM Chefs display team, Meet The Marines activities and the list goes on.

Possibly you missed them!
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Not at all sure what your point is. The branch recruiting requirements, structure, merger & training is under the remit of the respective Branch Manager.

The recruiting office recruits & most certainly doesn't have the slightest wish to sell anyone a bunch of anything other than correct facts, as provided by the branch managers. If the career profile changes after you have joined then unless we are issued with crystal balls, there is little that can be done in retrospect.
  18. I think N_S then that some AFCOs seem to be either be better manned or better at going into schools than others. My old Grammar school, and the other local one, didn't get AFCO visits, which is a shame, and neither did my brother's high school, but all three had Army visits. (Yet nothing to my Girls Grammar 6th form!)

However having said that, my cadet unit was invited to a "hoofing" Meet the Marines, and this coming Monday we will be visited by the High-Vis team.

So beyond that, it would seem to me that Navy almosts expects you to come to them, just in my localised experience as a recent Applicant.
  19. That is certainly an impressive syllabus Ninja_Stoker!

Unforunetly for me I was never exposed to anything from the Navy throughout school and beyond.

Perhaps the Glasgow recruiters are just lazy bastards?!

Course not. I do see they run a few conventions a year, none of them near my town (of 50k people) though. Nor did they once visit my secondary school (1.5k pupils). Or participate in the careers days (Army always there).
  20. witsend

He's young and intelligent sara. I wouldn't say hes dejected but i will say its difficult for myself to keep him inticed in continuing his career in the RN when all he does is duties/watches (because hes a MEM/ET he does nt chase defects), and lots of them due to lack of manpower. He was 1 in 2 for 2 weeks, then 1 in 3 for the last week, which is s*it after you ve just spent 3 months at sea.