RN Recruitment Advert - Joining As An Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by soleil, Aug 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you think?

2. To many YOUs. To quick and to much spin....bit short on the human side of life in the RN...just my view!!!!!! As you asked for feedback

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doubtless we'll all have differing opinions, but it would be interesting to hear feedback from those who are in the targeted age range too.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Nah, fcuk that, I'd still join up as a bootneck.

5. 18 seconds in, one of my old mess mates and Captain of the RN egg chasing team.

He's a PO though, not an officer.

I'm disgusted at this misrepresentation and shall be writing to the Daily Mail to express my anger.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Also is the lecturer at the very beginning Peter Jones from Dragon's Den?

7. At 14 seconds i think 'you penetrate' would have been more suitable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Personally I like it, I think it puts the right message across that it is hard work and a lot of studying whilst getting a great career out of it.

9. Sorry to bang the same old drum but still no mention of reserves.

How hard would it be to include the term "regular and reserve" in these adverts? Kill two birds with one stone, save money.

I saw the list of the program for the RNR adverts and they seem to be putting them on the channels everyone would get rid of if they could during programs nobody gives a rats fart about.

I know the RN and RNR are not the same but surely some common dog is required here. I'm seeing so many new recruits joining the RNR because they've been given a 2yr wait to be called forward for the RN. Adverts covering both would serve both organisations well.

The company I work for has a building dept, a facilities management dept and a joinery dept. My gaffer would never consider placing seperate adverts for each one - why? Because it's his money!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ah yes, but you're assuming 'logic' and 'marketing' belong in the same sentence.

The problem is that, much the same as those who work in IT security and a lot more besides, there's a disconnect with regard subject knowledge and job title - those that hold the purse strings manage the 'subject experts', but in true service tradition are transient and consequently clueless on subject matter.

A true marketing expert would confess there is no such thing as an expert in marketing, but the first rule of marketing, which our lords and masters miss entirely, is the bloody advertising company advertises themselves primarily to the revenue generator - ie: the client, not the clients customer.

Marketing would tell you that they need to be able to quantify specific results for specific marketing campaigns, besides the Reserves have their own marketing budget and it's "all too difficult". Bless.

11. It's more PC than a Lib Dem conference!

12. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Really think they need to drop the 'A Life Without Limits' tagline.

It has been a hackneyed slogan for too long, and anyone connected to the RN these days knows that the life is far from without limits.

pommpey

13. To all the guys who have posted negative comments... the ad is not aimed at your demographic so it isn't surprising you don't like it 100%.

It is in keeping with the current style of RN recruitment ads - maintaining the same "corporate feel" is important in marketing and I am sure there is focus group approval for the style.

I like them - they are short and attention grabbing. At the end of the day, the aim is to get potential recruits into their AFCO, not tell them about everything in a 30 second ad.

Time will tell if they are successful, of course!

• Like Like x 1
  14. As someone in the targeted demographic, I like it. Although I'm not sure how useful it is as I'm already very keen to get into the RN as an Officer. So on how well it works, I couldn't say, it is definitely an attention-grabbing advert though!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it grates like a Foxy Bingo/Cillit Bang advert to many, but if it's striking a chord with it's intended audience then all's good.

16. Just put a webcam in the ships anson!