Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RN Recruiting Test/Psychometric Test Examples.

mattyrock

Badgeman
It's hard if you don't know the answer... sorry
They're simple questions. If you got all the answers right on the examples on the book your afco gave you and understand why it's that answer.

The lack of time was the thing most people that I sat the test with complained about. I just went with my gut for most I couldn't work out straight away, that should see you through ok.

Right quick question.. If you don't get the required pass mark for the branch you oringinally applied for depending on you pass mark will they discuss what other branches you may qualify for? Or is that it you have failed..

ben_rn

Midshipman
Right quick question.. If you don't get the required pass mark for the branch you oringinally applied for depending on you pass mark will they discuss what other branches you may qualify for? Or is that it you have failed..

Mate chill out a bit. All these questions it seems like your fretting about it. I've got mine a week today, dont stress about it, It does nothing to help you. Type RT into the search bar and you'll find Ninja has posted ALOT of links to practice tests. Look at the RN booklet about the RT and just base your revision off those questions. Get a family member to look at the booklet and write you a practice test??

mattyrock

Badgeman

Not quite... Everyone that failed mine got pulled into another room and the Army careers officer had an interview/presentation with them so see if they were suitable for any of the Army roles. Don't think you can apply for the Navy again

Am not fretting about it, I've done my revision and can only try my best on the day.. But I was just wodering. Because I just thought if you hit higher than the requirements (10 marks in the english and maths) put didn't manage to score the pass mark for thr brach you orignally applied for that they would discuss other branches you may have qualified for?

OMM

War Hero
Am not fretting about it, I've done my revision and can only try my best on the day.. But I was just wodering. Because I just thought if you hit higher than the requirements (10 marks in the english and maths) put didn't manage to score the pass mark for thr brach you orignally applied for that they would discuss other branches you may have qualified for?

Yea you will.

On completion of the test you will be told if you passed or failed and if you have failed they will discuss your options.

You will then recieve a print out of the job specs of the jobs you did qualify for.

Rachelthree

War Hero
So for my recruit test I've been concentrating on the maths and mechanical comprehension side of things I've been revising long multiplication and division and with fractions aswell,percentages,significant figures and for the mechanical side I've been revising how to wire a plug,leavers,pully systems and electrical circuts is there anything else I should revise or? Are the questions hard? Or is it more the lack of time?

I found that there were some I did not know the answer to at all, I skipped them initially and went back and took an educated guess at the end if I had time, think I only missed 1 in the end. Not worth spending time struggling with one question when there might be six more you know that you then don't have time to complete! The lack of time is the hardest part I found, a lot of the questions would be easy if you had as much time as you fancied to work it all out, so I made sure that all of the practice I did was against the clock so that I got used to working quickly and being confident in my thinking. I found brain training for the DS helped alongside going through practice tests online against the clock, cause again it gets the noggin ticking over speedily. I was more nervous then I had been for any exams for some reason, but when you get in the room there is no time to think about being nervous :p so good luck, seems as though the revision you are doing will help alot :)

Tiz_

Hello guys!

Just yesterday I took my RT and failed it. During being told I failed I got told it was just the maths that had let me down which is quite dissapointing. Maths has never really been a strong point for me, I attempted to look at multiple websites to revise for this particular subject, but I guess it wasn't enough to enable me to pass.

After being told I failed I asked when it would be possible to re-take it, I got told a minimum of 6 months. I'm a little disheartened about it but this is really what I want to do, so I'm not going to give up. I'm just here to ask what type of things I need to be revising? Just some basic mathmatics? I want to make sure I cover everything that is possibly going to be in the test next time I re-take it.

Thank you.

2cool

Lantern Swinger
Tiz have a look at my advice in the thread; completing all the questions makes a big difference if you didn't complete them all... even if you just randomly tick 5 in the last 20 seconds though you should practice being able to answer all the questions properly in the time provided.

Tiz_

Tiz have a look at my advice in the thread; completing all the questions makes a big difference if you didn't complete them all... even if you just randomly tick 5 in the last 20 seconds though you should practice being able to answer all the questions properly in the time provided.

Hi, thank you for the response.

I have no trouble with the times given to complete the questions, that is not a problem for me at all. I did answer all the questions. I answered what I could then went back and looked at the ones I struggled with. I even still had time left over once I had finished doing that. I'm confident with the time limit, I just need to know what to focus on while revising, because the maths is my problem.

2cool

Lantern Swinger
Maybe purchase that book i suggested earlier in the thread. Many will tell you that all the materials you need are available freely online and that it is a waste of money but by having the book you can sit down, work in test conditions and do questions that are virtually identical to what you get on test day. Using the book I scored 29/30 on my maths section, which was an improvement of around 5 on the previous time I sat the test.

Tiz_

Maybe purchase that book i suggested earlier in the thread. Many will tell you that all the materials you need are available freely online and that it is a waste of money but by having the book you can sit down, work in test conditions and do questions that are virtually identical to what you get on test day. Using the book I scored 29/30 on my maths section, which was an improvement of around 5 on the previous time I sat the test.

I'll have a look back through the thread, thank you. =) 29/30? That's pretty good, well done. I hope to have the same success. I'll definately look into it, though. I like the idea of being able to sit down and actually work through it, practicing in test conditions with this would also be a massive bonus!

It's really anoyying to think though, if I was a little better prepared for the maths I would of passed!

Thanks for the help.

Meph

The timed maths parts were my biggest worry, I can do maths at my own pace but being out of school for 8 years really didn't help. I spent a couple of hours every few days timing my myself and just going over long division and multiplication etc in preparation for the test and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I'd passed.
For some I didn't have time or didn't know the answers so just ticked and circled anything, a guess is better than leaving it blank.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
Hi, thank you for the response.

I have no trouble with the times given to complete the questions, that is not a problem for me at all. I did answer all the questions. I answered what I could then went back and looked at the ones I struggled with. I even still had time left over once I had finished doing that. I'm confident with the time limit, I just need to know what to focus on while revising, because the maths is my problem.

Sorry to have to state the blindingly obvious, but you took the test. You know what sort of questions were in the maths section, therefore, those are the types of questions you should be practising.

Tiz_

Sorry to have to state the blindingly obvious, but you took the test. You know what sort of questions were in the maths section, therefore, those are the types of questions you should be practising.

Lol? I didn't ask what sort of questions to practice. I asked what kind of maths to cover? I guess what I said wasn't in enough detail. But thanks for your input anyway.

Also, I don't actually remember what exact type of questions there was, I didn't feel the need to try and remember because of being hopeful of passing and not having to re-take.

I'm going to be taking a maths course to improve my maths, also will be purchasing the book suggested earlier in the thread :)

Last edited:

Prowler

Lantern Swinger
A lot of good information here. Got my RT on May 1st and I am pretty confident about passing Reasoning, Literacy and Mathematical. Currently working on practicing more on my Mechanical (been awhile since school so I am a bit rusty) and a little extra on my maths (you know, because Maths can be a pain in the arse at times even if you're prepared).

Started doing revision early (before I even sent off my application form) as I knew what was coming thanks to being told by the AFCO during the careers presentation.

It's good to know that they sit down with you at the end to discuss what you have qualified for. As I am going for MA (SM) as a main target, I am aware that the pass mark is going to be rather high due to the specifics of the role. I do have the obvious back up of general MA, which again, I expect to be high but not as high.

So, if I don;t pass for either of these, I hoping that I have the opportunity to go in as a Loggie or something.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Psychometric Recruiting Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Recruiting Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
D N.I Card - Recruiting Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
W Recruiting Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C pass mark recruiting test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Recruiting Test Current Affairs 4
N Officer Recruiting Test....? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Recruiting test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Next steps for future tri-service recruiting programme revealed MoD News 0
perrym Submarine recruiting Ad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
MoD_RSS We're recruiting Investigators MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker Recruiting & Covid-19 update. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
BFRS We are recruiting for Instructor Roles - Fantastic Opportunities! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
MoD_RSS UKAEA recruiting for new Directors MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Portsmouith Area recruiting Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
vauxhall The Forces Pension Society is recruiting Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall The Society is recruiting Finance & Pensions 0
Trainer HMS KING ALFRED Recruiting Open Day 9th June 2018. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Teenage daughter (18) in recruiting phase. Joining the Royal Navy 20
janner Latest recruiting poster. Diamond Lil's 29
Ninja_Stoker Defence Recruiting System (DRS) Feedback request Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
Wightsparker Recruiting opportunity? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
G Have you ever passed Medical underweight? Gaining Weight before Recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
SONAR-BENDER Genuine recruiting or major bite? Diamond Lil's 8
cobra_wasp97 Just came out of the recruiting office, forgot to ask two most important questions... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Ninja_Stoker Feedback Request - Social Media & Recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
wave_dodger Italian Recruiting Current Affairs 11
P CAMBRIA recruiting tactics questioned in Parliament Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Stirlin New RN recruiting ads...... Made in the Royal Navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
sgtpepperband Recruiting: Scottish Fire and Rescue Service The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Telegraph: "Wave Of Suspected Bombs Sent To Armed Forces Recruiting Offices" Current Affairs 30
S Recruiting now! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
J Navy recruiting ads from the late 70s/early 80s? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
Ninja_Stoker RNR Recruiting - The Propositions & Your Suggestions Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 149
G RAF turn to honesty for new recruiting campaign Diamond Lil's 8
REDMIST RMR Bristol recruiting... The Corps 0
Bunter The Recruiting Joke Blue Jokes 1
supermario Closure of RN & RM recruiting office Ilford Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Recruiting 750 People From Northern Ireland" Current Affairs 1
R Media Ops is recruiting! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 39
trelawney126 Army Recruiting Costa Coffee Style ? The Gash Barge 2
bluevillain Crab recruiting advert Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 16
M Still recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S RM Band Recruiting Video circa 1983-84 - Part 2 History 4
S RM Band Recruiting Film, circa 1983-84 History 4
R Newbie :) what jobs are currently recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Guns Galaxy 20-2010 - RN Recruiting from the offical source Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh - Official Recruiting Update Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
R So the RN isn't recruiting? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2