RN Police

Taztiff

War Hero
The red badge was not only for tiffs. It was for (paraphrasing cus I can't remember correct wording), 'ratings not dressed as seamen'. So some medical ratings had it.
Most likely it was thought to be tiffs only as we had around 600 entrants a year compared to only a handful of 'others'
Which asks the question - why would a lreg have one? To stand out from the rest of the jrs?
Found this on Dido faceache site.
( @Ballistic I know you are there! )
Shows leading dog in fore and aft rig, hence the red badge.
So when did it change? And yep, kings crown.
FB_IMG_1612709934271.jpg

slim

War Hero
May not be a Killick Dog. Stewards and Cooks wore Class 3 uniform (Ratings not dressed as Seamen), according to:
However the above never wore a Crown on the left arm.
I believe that the ciggie photo is showing RPOs but they company made a feck up by only giving em one hook

slim

War Hero
Maybe my eyes but the killick looks like he has a star on the right arm, so not a crusher but S&S.
Just taken a butchers and you are right.
Also the RPO on the left of the picture has two buttons on his sleeve. If my memory serves me correctly those wearing tiffy rig wore black buttons with only one button on the sleeve until rated PO

Ballistic

War Hero
Here's what I was issued with in 1977:

20210205_094155.jpg20210205_094239.jpg

I was issued with 2 red badges; one for my cap, one for my beret.

The "Warship" episode I referred to was filmed in 1976, so the only question really is this:

In 1976 did LREGs wear a red beret badge or a metal junior rates' one? :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Here's what I was issued with in 1977:

View attachment 56849View attachment 56850

I was issued with 2 red badges; one for my cap, one for my beret.

The "Warship" episode I referred to was filmed in 1976, so the only question really is this:

In 1976 did LREGs wear a red beret badge or a metal junior rates' one? :)
I joined in 1973 so remember the berets coming in, I was on the Rusty B and the greenies mess had all these Fred Scuttle look-a-likes as the old and bold tried them on. As far as I can remember crushers had metal badges but normally wore caps as they didn't often wear 8's.

I still have my copy of BR 1938 but was issued the 1965 version :)