RN Police

Ballistic

War Hero
Another strange one from LREG Fuller.
Here he can be seen wearing the beret badge of an Artificer Apprentice.
20 mins 50 seconds.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I'm pretty sure that way back when, before metal beret badges were issued, that it HAD to be a red badge such as the JR Art Apps wore that had to be sown on a beret. If you wanted to wear a beret.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
When I got issued my first beret (1975 or 76) it came with a metal badge. The whole ships company all got them, only tiff JR's had the red badge.

Ballistic

War Hero
I'm pretty sure that way back when, before metal beret badges were issued, that it HAD to be a red badge such as the JR Art Apps wore that had to be sown on a beret. If you wanted to wear a beret.
That particular episode was filmed in 1976, a year before I joined up and was issued with a red beret badge so I'm convinced it's a mistake.
I'll keep an eye out for other beret badges because ... well, it's lockdown... ;)

Taztiff

War Hero
When I got issued my first beret (1975 or 76) it came with a metal badge. The whole ships company all got them, only tiff JR's had the red badge.
The red badge was not only for tiffs. It was for (paraphrasing cus I can't remember correct wording), 'ratings not dressed as seamen'. So some medical ratings had it.
Most likely it was thought to be tiffs only as we had around 600 entrants a year compared to only a handful of 'others'
Which asks the question - why would a lreg have one? To stand out from the rest of the jrs?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The red badge was not only for tiffs. It was for (paraphrasing cus I can't remember correct wording), 'ratings not dressed as seamen'. So some medical ratings had it.
Most likely it was thought to be tiffs only as we had around 600 entrants a year compared to only a handful of 'others'
Which asks the question - why would a lreg have one? To stand out from the rest of the jrs?
Maybe the crusher "confiscated" it.

The LEP Chinese on the Rusty B wore tiffs rig with the red badge.