RN Officer Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TangoWhiskyBravo, Sep 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently looking at joining the navy as an officer but before I start picking roles I thought I needed to clear something up.

When looking through the role pages on the career site I noticed that it said you needed qualifications in "non-overlapping subject areas". This is an issue for me die to having done an apprenticeship and so most of my significant qualifications are specific to my trade. My highest qualification is a HNC which is equivalent to a first year of an engineering degree course

Can anyone offer any insight as to if this would be an issue?

Many thanks in advance
  2. Speak to the AFCO, who will be able to provide the accurate advice straight from source (the AIB).

@Ninja_Stoker might be able to help, but he'll need more detail.
  3. Many thanks, I'd be happy to give more details if it'll help
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You need an Engineering Degree to join as an Engineering Officer. If you use the HNC to "top-up" to a degree, the HNC cannot count towards to UCAS element of the academic entry standards for Officer. You also need the 5 GCSE's A*-C regardless (including maths and English).

To join as a Warfare or Logistics Officer, as a degree is not required, the HNC can count toward the UCAS total but the GCSE's are still required.

You may well be eligible for the Engineering Technician Advanced Apprenticeship and your best bet is to call in to your local AFCO, taking all educational certificates with you.
  5. Thanks for the reply, I was looking at either warfare or pilot. I'll have a wander down to the AFCO sometime this week
    • Like Like x 1