RN officer lying dead, was thought to be drunk

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dunkers, Feb 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Even in my day, the OOD should have had the person checked every hour. After 2 hours of not moving, they'd have been roused and the medic called in. OOD should be done for negligence.
  2. Yet again the Doc not getting it right :threaten:
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What is it with HMS Cornwall?

Poor lass, I expect the OOD thought she was drunk and to save a fellow junior officer from getting in the Shite failed to get medical assistance because he/she would have had to officially log the incident.....letting her "sleep it off" and a quiet word in her shell in the morning was probably the plan.

However the OOD is guilty of not checking on her, we had to check drunks every 10 mins if they where comotosed.
  4. It's hard to see how someone could be lying comatose/dead for 24 hours on a warship and no one noticing, especially after the OOD had been informed. It seems the OOD was not doing his job in ensuring the standard drunk checks were carried out, and did the dead officer not have a part of ship to attend at some stage, or messmates that would be looking for her, or even a steward coming to clean her cabin?

Having said that, it's dangerous to speculate on the basis of a newspaper article. There may be more here than is immediately apparent.
  5. Agreed. And bearing in mind this is a bbc website :eek::

6. To assume that she was [allegedly] drunk is amazing.

A sad story
  7. If anyone is found collapsed for any reason at work one of the first things we do is check the patients blood sugars to negate any diabetic problems. Easy, takes less than a minute and can help towards a definitive course of treatment.
  8. Always had the roundsmen flip them on their side in their pits on the hour every hour, stops them from drowning in their own spew... :thumright:
  9. Erm, excuse me!

I was onboard the Fighting Ice-Cream at that time and Emma was my D.O.

All I will say is that she had a KNOWN back problem and was prone to sleeping on the deck of her cabin to ease it.
    On the night she passed my friend knocked on her cabin door as it was open but the curtain was closed, he saw that she was asleep on the deck so he left her (as you would). There was no indication that she had been drinking. She was checked the following morning and it was then that she was found, he immediately called everyone to the scene to try to help her, but it was too late. NO-ONE assumed she was drunk!!!!! NO-ONE just ignored her!!!!! Her Death was totally out of the blue and no-one could have done anything unless they had known of her condition.

She will be sorely missed by me. I still have the 8s shirt she kindly put the badges on because she couldn't sit on watch seeing me butcher the sewing :)

Now PLEASE let her rest.
  10. R.I.P., Condolences to her family, friends and shipmates.
  11. Why has it taken 3 and a half years for the inquest?

May she rest in peace.
  12. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I was on the Cornwall at the same time too. A good officer and a lovely woman to chat to-always had time for the younger members of the ship's company which was nice to see. This happened just before the Cornwall went into refit and was a massive shock to the ships company at the time.

I did see her sleeping on her back on the floor a number of times when I was bimbling past her cabin so it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary.

May she rest in peace... :(
  13. Apologies Lamri. Hope she's happy onboard the big grey funnel line in the sky mate. RIP
  14. Thank you Lamri for putting the record straight. What you described makes this a straightforward case of passing away in her sleep, and may she rest in peace.

The next step is to review the medical history to ensure that nothing was missed - it won't bring her back, but it might prevent a similar case in the future.
  15. What a tragic story! Unfortunately, a reflection (IMHO) of the rush to separate RN personnel from their old traditions of "messing" and looking after their oppos.

"Leave him / her to sleep it off" is a recipe for tragedy and let's hope a recommendation will be made that all personnel are sighted and physically shaken every morning, unless there is a good watchkeeping reason for not so doing.
  16. Guys- investigation is on going-- think we should let it rest here don't you?
  17. Thank you Lamri; a bit of sense from someone who knows!
  18. Does anybody check on those prats in the House of Snores see who died recently. Three quarters of the prats must be on life support.
  19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Cheers for clearing that up Lamri.