RN- Mine Clearance Diver

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by ryan1995, Jun 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could anyone tell me what sort of diving experience you need to have if you wish to join as an MCD and how much you actually need? also what pass mark should I be aiming for in the RT test? I've heard its not as high as the other branches require?

Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Ha de har...NEXT!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. He sounds really committed!
  4. He should be!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you want a recruitment question answering, it's probably wiser to post in the relevant section.

Recruiting Test scores are quite complex and can involve minimum scores in each section and "all-up" scores. Knowing the score required for a particular branch doesn't really serve any purpose unless the individual knows they've answered enough questions correctly & is planning on nipping outside for a tab whilst everyone else catches up.

To give an idea of the complexity of the scoring issue, you could score higher overall than the total score required for Officer or Comms Tech (the highest all-up score required), but still fail the entry standard for Diver.

Logic would suggest applicants score as high as possible for whatever job they aim to join - if they later fail a selection element for one job (very common for wannabe Divers), it then leaves a more sizeable list of alternatives. To open-up the whole range of Royal Navy jobs potentially available, you should aim to score 100% correct and actually achieve no less than 70% correct in each of the four test sections.

No previous technical diving experience is necessary according to the literature but only a chimp would want to do any job, let lone one as physically demanding as Diver, without at least establishing that they actually enjoy the primary activity alluded toward in the job title. Even then, recreational diving in Sharm el Sheikh is not quite the same as blindly fiddling with seventy year-old explosives underwater within a tight time frame limited by an incoming rip tide, in zero visibility on a freezing cold January day in UK. But, it's a start.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Go on, you got Froggy or Spiv to help with that bit, didn't you?!
    • Like Like x 1

7. No not me. I was very impressed actually. Good knowledge NS.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For once I thought it only fair to tell it how it is rather than take the Michael.

Normal service will be resumed as appropriate.

Trouble with the mob is we always undersell ourselves and if we don`t, someone from another branch sticks the knife in, instead. :grin:

I try to listen to those in every branch and take on board the less savoury aspects because people need to know how crap the job can be, as well as how good it can get.
    • Like Like x 1