RN mightiest warship heads to Gulf

digger84

War Hero
This deployment has been on the cards since the ship was launched. A non story. But it will be interesting to see what happens as the Iranians are planning a another naval exercise that roughly takes place when the Daring is due to enter the Persian Gulf. Also ex Shamal is taking place at the same time.

SEP86

War Hero
So the first Type 45 Operational Deployment is routine is it?

Getting DARING ready for this deployment has been far from a 'non-story' for the large number of people who have been involved in it.

Only because it's such a poorly designed and built Warship. T23s have been doing this watch on stop on since 03, you'll forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed purple piss if someone else takes up the slack. At one point the mean time between deployments for the T23 community was 7 months, which would include an OST or DCT as well as all the other chuff we have to put up with.

DoubleDuff

Midshipman
The type 45s are pointless in the Gulf in my opinion. They are still in a cold war state of mind (Thursdays wars the same since the 80s), they need to get with the times. Would be far better to have lots of smaller assault ships/boats, rather than a few large advanced ships.

Even if Daring will be the most advanced ship in the Gulf, a swarm of small attack vessels could give her a serious headache.

The type 45s are pointless in the Gulf in my opinion. They are still in a cold war state of mind (Thursdays wars the same since the 80s), they need to get with the times. Would be far better to have lots of smaller assault ships/boats, rather than a few large advanced ships.

Even if Daring will be the most advanced ship in the Gulf, a swarm of small attack vessels could give her a serious headache.
You are considerably out of date. Second World War MGB vs E-boat engagements in 'the narrow seas' have been consigned to history.

Like all our warships, DARING and her ship's company (including her flight) will have undergone lots of training and BOST serials featuring attacks by FAC but her main role will be to sort out the air picture. Not for nothing was GLOUCESTER deployed upthreat in the NAG in 1991, alternating with USS BUNKER HILL, to screen out air threats from any friendly A/C failing to squawk on IFF when going 'feet wet' after raids on Iraq. Her splashing of the Iraqi Silkworm testifies to the success of her weapons and sensors, not to mention the unrivalled expertise of RN Ops Room personnel.

G

guestm

No. Really, no.

Anyway, more interestingly, why is half the ship's company on the flight deck in that photo, ballast?

tommo

War Hero

Hmmm I believe you are out of date with your knowledge going by that.

The Thursday wars I've done recently are far different to the ones I did 14 years ago.

So that blows your theory out already.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Gents - this is RumRation - ill informed comment by people dodging coffins is encouraged. Fact is banned on the grounds its not good for morale.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The RN vessel likely to give them the biggest headache is already there (having avoided any pinnacles), particularly if "Amadinnerjacket" starts getting too adventurous!
I've been thinking about this - we used to have to aim to miss (if you know what I mean!) either the Hedgehog or the Porcupine Seamount. Please help me out one of you old Cold Warriors........?

DoubleDuff

Midshipman
They should bolt a couple of GPMGs on Victory, send that ****** down there. Might take a few months to actually reach the Gulf though...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Warship Series 1 HMS Illustrious Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
S Warship - New Series Current Affairs 65
soleil D. Star: "Royal Navy Warship Intercepts Four Russian Vessels In English Channel" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Revolutionary Artificial Intelligence warship contracts announced MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Sheffield revealed as new warship MoD News 0
dapperdunn Warship: HMS Duncan MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: UK set for new Birmingham warship and will keep amphibious assault ships, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary meets Australian defence minister following £20bn British warship deal MoD News 1
soleil BBC2 - Britain's Biggest Warship - Sunday, April 15th 2018 - 8 pm The Fleet 102
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Cardiff on St David's Day MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Tall ship/Warship History 7
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
MoD_RSS News story: New navy warship accepted by Defence Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary visits Appledore yard as warship competition ramps up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Belfast in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker Warship Channel 4 Documentary Series Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 94
MoD_RSS News story: UK warship heads to Mediterranean to help tackle arms trafficking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK warship to join campaign against Daesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK jets and warship to bolster Baltic security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British warship set to support French carrier group on ISIL mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy warship offered to Mediterranean anti-smuggling mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Second Scottish built Royal Navy warship moves closer to service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy warship in Caribbean drugs bust MoD News 1
soleil The Journal: "North East Royal Navy Reservist Returns Home Aboard Warship HMS Tyne" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Mail: "Navy's Gibraltar Stand-off With Spanish Patrol: Warship Challenges 3 Ships" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Telegraph: "Britain's Largest Warship Nears Completion" The Fleet 12
soleil SD Record: "Queen Set To Launch £3.1bn Royal Navy Warship During Summer Visit" The Fleet 0
soleil Mirror: "Sub Hunting With First Female Commander Of Major Royal Navy Warship" The Fleet 20
soleil Pompey News: "New Naval Officer Can’t Wait For First Job Guiding Warship" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Shadows Russian Warship Off Scottish Coast" The Fleet 45
soleil Pompey News: "Shipyard Suffers Knock-Back Over Warship Repairs" Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Star: "New Naval Warship Will Be Out Of Date " The Fleet 20
ForcesJobShop Nuclear Procedure Engineer (Warship Support/ Category B Watchkeeper) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Mirror: "RN Warship Seizes Cannabis And Cocaine Worth £58 Million In Caribbean" The Fleet 0
soleil Mirror: "Royal Navy Sailor Detained For Sex Attack On Warship" The Fleet 0
L Interested in Joining - Warship Inspiration Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Jersey Evening Post: "States Give £30,000 To Royal Navy Warship" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK warship joins Kuwaiti forces in Gulf exercise MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Ahoy Heir: Prince Charles Tours Royal Navy Warship That Targets Pirates" The Fleet 0
soleil ITV London: "Red Phone Box Installed On Warship" The Fleet 1
soleil Herald: "Plymouth Warship Intercepts £5.4million Cannabis Resin Haul In Gulf Of Oman" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy warship rescues injured fisherman MoD News 3
trelawney126 Iranians build new Warship The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS News story: UK warship joins Pakistan naval exercise MoD News 10
MoD_RSS News story: UK Lynx flight completes French warship deployment MoD News 0
soleil Pompey News: "Reservists Show Their Bosses The Ropes On Warship" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy warship prepares for counter-narcotics assignment MoD News 4
soleil Sky Tyne & Wear: "Public Invited Aboard Newcastle Affiliated Warship HMS Dauntless" The Fleet 5
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Sends Warship To Libya To Showcase Defence Equipment" Current Affairs 3