RN Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fishface, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what actually happens at your medical?

My AFCO was a bit cagey about the whole thing and I don't really fancy having anything shoved up my backside until I've at least seen the golden rivet! :?

2. My medical..

First of all i saw the nurse, she took a wee sample, colourblind test, and hearing test. Also went through a form asking questions, like, ''does anyone in your family have heart disease'' ect..
    Once id passed everything with the nurse i got sent to the doc, he listened to my chest, looked into my eyes/ears, bent my arms/legs to check they locked (or something like that!), he then checked round my neck for any dodgy strange lumps. I also had to blow into a tube to measure how much air was coming out of my lungs.

Good luck :)

3. fishface

cheers mate thats a real help, just got to wait for the summons now!

4. haha! take it youve passed your RT then?

5. There are a few threads on this, the search function will help you :wink:

However, in my medical, I had to do the drop and cough, had a good check of my family jewels, but was spared the examination of the rear passage due to my tender age :D

Depending on your age you may or may not get this special treatment I think.

6. Yep, exact same here!
    A guy I work with is an ex para and he said as soon as you turn (not exactly sure what age) I think it was 35 that they lose interest in your family jewels and concentrate round the back :oops:

7. We may chuckle about having nether regions examined, but I do wonder:
    How often they find something basic that should have been sorted, if only we weren't so squeamish about these things.
    I mean something as simple as someone who should have been circumcised, or suspicious lumps on testicles, undiagnosed hernias, undescended balls etc.

8. fishface

Yeh I passed my RT (was a right pain!) a couple of weeks ago had my eye test last week (which came out better then I expected so I've got ring up and change my branch preference...had forgotten to do that!).

Just need to have my medical, which is the only part I'm a bit worried about...hence the thread.

9. Fish face, dont worry at all about it. I worried like everyone im sure does, but its not bad at all!! :)

10. fishface

I try not to but depending on what's actually on my medical record I might be a bit f**ked! lol

11. In mine I had to do the standard cough test, but instead of gently cupping my balls the doc pressed into my pubis with two fingers; I was gutted! Apart from that it was pretty much the same as the others have posted. Piss test, height/weight and BMI, colour perception test, hearing test and lung capacity.

You are also asked a series of questions about previous medical history, BE HONEST!!! If you aren't you will be in deeeep shit later, they ask you for a reason. To put your mind at rest about that one I had to tell the doc that I had micro-fractures in my L4-L6 vertebrae and they had been shifted from alignment thanks to a very short semi pro rugby career. Doc asked what the course of treatment was, if I had any problems with my lower back, then passed me.

12. fishface

yeh true, unfortunately I've been looking over AFCO form 5 and it looks like if what i think is on there is then I am illegible to join...just hope there's a bit of flexibility in it!

13. Am I really the only person who had his balls fondled? It seems a rare occurance after reading all the threads on the medical.

14. Nope, i had mine fondled also ;)

15. Sounds like it, lucky b*stard.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Prior to undergoing the Medical Examination, a medical questionnaire & a consent form must be completed for the release of your medical records.

It would be somewhat remiss to fail to disclose a medical condition which later came to light as it can result in a discharge from the service for making a fraudulent application, which is a waste of time, money, effort from all perspectives.

Experience reveals that those questioning what is involved in the medical examination either want confirmation of what is already written on the AFCO Form 5 medical guidance notes, or wish to hear that in some cases people aren't checked for a specific condition. Usually this ranges from a huge area of topics from drug addiction to asthma, from attempted suicides to dermatitis.

The simple advice, if in doubt is to ring your AFCO (anonymously if necessary) to ask the medical examiner whether your particular condition is a direct bar to entry.

Best of luck, let's hope it's "one of those one's" to which discretion can be reasonably applied.

17. fishface

thanks NS...the only problem with that is as far as I'm aware my medical will be done by a local GP so I wont be able to talk to him at the AFCO?

18. The Medical Examiner will be appropriately trained and will be in communication with the AFCO.

Don't panic about the medical - it's a medical and that's it. See threads passim. If you've told porky pies then you will probably be found out - if that is the case then you may have something to worry about. Tell the AFCO asap to prevent what may end up being a dishonorable discharge.

19. fishface

I haven't sent off my medical forms yet...that why I started the thread just so I can be sure before I send anything off

20. You two must both have been subjected to Internal Testes Examinations then :roll: