RN manpower crisis - what can the RNR do?

But what are doing all this regular training to reserves for? I have AB2 and ET2 coming out of my ears; it's POs and senior LH in short of. And with the best will in the world, you're not going to fit 6+ months of PJTs into a couple of weekends.

I am firmly of the opinion that quite a lot of the RNR does a good job, it's just that job isn't to replace a regular on a Pusser's grey.

Sparkplug

Lantern Swinger
Well I did start the thread to make people think and talk...

We need to think differently with respect to both training and employment. The example I gave of a (CIS) Junior Rate being requested by a Minehunter for a month, or the people who went aboard Protector did not involve the full package of PJT needed for a proper sea draft, and did not replace their regular counterparts as such.

The idea that a Reservist could do a regular's job under any conditions is clearly absured, but that should not stop part timers contributing to the Whole Force.

Well I did start the thread to make people think and talk...

We need to think differently with respect to both training and employment. The example I gave of a (CIS) Junior Rate being requested by a Minehunter for a month, or the people who went aboard Protector did not involve the full package of PJT needed for a proper sea draft, and did not replace their regular counterparts as such.

The idea that a Reservist could do a regular's job under any conditions is clearly absured, but that should not stop part timers contributing to the Whole Force.

And I'll say again - I'm bursting at the seams with partially trained personnel. I don't need any more, I don't have bunks for any more. And if I did, then surely the priority should be those who become fully trained, and can eventually become a replacement for someone?

My wife was a reservist, so I get their ethos and attitude, and it's a great thing to have, but rarely do I need it in a front line unit.

babygravy

Lantern Swinger
Many instructors at shore establishments are ex-service anyway, so Flagship (or whatever company runs it now) offer them a crap wage, knowing they have their Pusser's pension to boost up their income. They accept as they don't want a job outside their comfort zone.

Many instructors at shore establishments are ex-service anyway, so Flagship (or whatever company runs it now) offer them a crap wage, knowing they have their Pusser's pension to boost up their income. They accept as they don't want a job outside their comfort zone.

My bold: Babcock

As for the instructors, Phase 1 and 2 (at Raleigh at least) are RN instructors at the LH / PO level mainly.
The only time I had others, I had were a civvy ex RSIGS WO1 for the NVQ part of my LSCQC and a FTRS RNR POSC and a RFA POSA for my Dangerous Goods Consignors course who were teaching a mixed class of other civvies from across defence, RM, RFA and RN.

The only real civilian instructors I've seen there are up at the fire fighting and DC school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Indeed, then copy the rest of the post which explains why it's not a good idea in this context.
Ok.
How long until we're unable to source civilian instructors?
Not long at all. It's called the job market. There will be plenty of RN just about to leave the mob, who will happily jump into those jobs. Lots of people outside the mob have to work weekends. It's not the be all and end all of everything.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ok.
How long until we're unable to source civilian instructors?
Not long at all. It's called the job market. There will be plenty of RN just about to leave the mob, who will happily jump into those jobs. Lots of people outside the mob have to work weekends. It's not the be all and end all of everything.

Experience from DCCIS/Flagship suggests otherwise and you have the challenge of maintaining output Mon-Fri and covering weekends. We're simply not funded for that.

Add to this the challenge of recruiting, and at my unit right now this is my number one issue. You can't recruit CS (at all) and you can't bring in contractors unless they deliver a defined technical service which is a nightmare path to tread with the unions.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Experience from DCCIS/Flagship suggests otherwise and you have the challenge of maintaining output Mon-Fri and covering weekends. We're simply not funded for that.
Exactly, so the SO1/2 specking the contract is failing in his/her task, because the schools are not open at weekends.

@wave_dodger , I am not being rude, but - having explained to us what is not possible - what is your solution? AFG tells us that his floaty thing is full of Phase 2 sailors, so this is not just an RNR issue. I accept that the RNR are not here to fill highly technical billets, and turning up on HMS Floaty to do so is simply not in the realm of the possible. I do know, however, an RNR who has just been mobilised for a ship billet, long-term.

To tackle the title of the thread - what can the RNR do? - the answer seems to be nowt - because we are told what is not possible instead of bucking down and finding solutions. Give useful, concentrated training and we'll help solve the manpower issue.

Exactly, so the SO1/2 specking the contract is failing in his/her task, because the schools are not open at weekends.

@wave_dodger , I am not being rude, but - having explained to us what is not possible - what is your solution? AFG tells us that his floaty thing is full of Phase 2 sailors, so this is not just an RNR issue. I accept that the RNR are not here to fill highly technical billets, and turning up on HMS Floaty to do so is simply not in the realm of the possible. I do know, however, an RNR who has just been mobilised for a ship billet, long-term.

To tackle the title of the thread - what can the RNR do? - the answer seems to be nowt - because we are told what is not possible instead of bucking down and finding solutions. Give useful, concentrated training and we'll help solve the manpower issue.

I'll keep on saying until I'm blue in the face: the RNR's place is not at sea (unless as part of a Battle Staff). Do Medical, MTO, Int, some bits of FP etc and the SM/AW support stuff. Don't try and be part-time, shit, AWTs or ET(ME)s.